Logos & Icons

Discuss everything related to the business side of PC Repair, including software to run your business, advertising, marketing, legal issues, etc. etc.
Forum rules
1. Try to give more than you take, when possible.
2. Don't be a prick.

Logos & Icons

Postby Marshall » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:54 am

Building your Logo for D7, or another custom app? Or simply trying to create icons for Windows?

Give this stuff a shot.

Icons
1. Use a free app like Greenfish Icon Editor Portable from http://portableapps.com/apps/graphics_pictures/greenfish-icon-editor-pro-portable or IcoFx from http://icofx.ro/
2. Use .bmp for your Desktop Icons...Why? Because .bmp images show up just a bit larger than a .png. So if you have ever wondered why your Icon looks smaller than oh let's say Google Chromes Icon, that's why.
3. Follow one of the many useful Icon building walkthrough's on the web. http://www.howtogeek.com/65291/how-to-make-your-own-custom-windows-7-icons-out-of-any-image/ was the first one I started with, and since then I have been able to customize just about any image to give HD results with transparency, etc.

Logos
1. Gimp 2.0 is your friend...There is a plethora of online tutorials that you can find to teach you how to use Gimp, and it has a great community in my opinion.
2. Research competition!...Understand why your competitor's went with their color scheme's, or pictures. Also look at some big name brands and how simple their logos are (LL Bean, Google, Microsoft, etc. just for a few references). If your not going to jump onto a color scheme bandwagon (Their are tons of businesses using the same colors as Google these days, and it creates some recognition in doing so) then consider keeping this simple, and not rainbowy*sp. I find that using too many color's makes people lose recognition of your brand.
3. Keep it Simple...If this is your first go round at creating a Logo, and your not a pro at creating original imagery...then you fit this bill. Simple images are the easiest to create, as you have fewer layers and special effects built into the image.
4. Build it with your Audience in mind...Don't make it the way you like it, get some input from clients, friends, family, the web. Sometimes not even the brightest idea's, or Logos, in this case are cumulatively thought as being that great. So do yourself a favor and do some rough drafts, let others preview them, and get lots of input...I can't stress this enough, input is everything! Because after all you want other's to look at your Logo, and think of You, Your Business, or Your Product/Service. If it doesn't do that...head back to the drawing board.

Your mileage may vary from OS to OS...I use Win 7 (64bit)

You can use the above to pretty much create all of your D7 Logo's/Icons quickly, and for FREE...I know I did!
Help Me With My Computer Tech
IT Services & IT Consulting Services In Southern IL and St. Louis MO
Marshall

Re: Logos & Icons

Postby Nick » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:11 pm

I was using IcoFX but seems like it either went paid or came with adware or something, not sure. I ended up switching to Greenfish Icon Editor Portable which is free and of course, doesn't require a shady installation.

Also a Paint.NET fan. Especially for creating PNG files for the logos so they have transparency. Very easy, set the color palette more button, set the all colors and transparency/alpha (from 255) down to zero for full transparency. Click the fill tool, then set Fill to solid color in the toolbar, and just next to it there is a beaker looking thing, make sure that is set to "overwrite" instead of "normal blending" ... now with the slider bar set to 50% in the middle of those options, you can adjust the tolerance of the fill tool, click on your area of the graphic to make transparent, and voila! If too much becomes transparent, undo and go back to set your tolerance higher. Too little becomes transparent, set the tolerance lower. 50% is a great starting point for clean images with well defined lines, though.

Just throwing my 2c in there.
Author of d7/d7II and other PC technician's tools. http://www.FoolishIT.com

Nick
Site Admin

Postby Marshall » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:19 pm

Good stuff!

You're right about the "shady" stuff with IcoFX. They were free, and are now a Trial app, that if your not careful will load some crapware on your system. I suggest always scrutinizing free-app installs, especially on phones, and extensions for web browsers...The Devil is in the details!

I love using transparency for icons and web images. Good guide there Nick!
Help Me With My Computer Tech
IT Services & IT Consulting Services In Southern IL and St. Louis MO
Marshall

Postby Huskylogic » Tue May 05, 2015 8:29 pm

Those are all great programs. Can we share some of the logos you've created with them? Is that allowed here?
Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value. –Albert Einstein
Huskylogic

Postby Huskylogic » Mon May 11, 2015 1:26 pm

Nick, how do you like Greenfish? I had a graphic designer friend make my logo but I'd like to be able to edit it for special Occasions without having to pay her by the hour.
Huskylogic

Postby xide » Tue May 12, 2015 12:03 pm

Huskylogic wrote:Nick, how do you like Greenfish? I had a graphic designer friend make my logo but I'd like to be able to edit it for special Occasions without having to pay her by the hour.

If he made it in photoshop or illustrator ask for the original file .psd i think. This way you can load them and work with the actual layers instead of working with a flatten image. Not only would this make your life easier but it will also give you better results. I personally use photoshop, but I think gimp is a free tool that can read these files.
If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense.....Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle. I'm afraid I can't explain myself, sir. Because I am not myself, you see?
xide

Postby Huskylogic » Tue May 12, 2015 2:25 pm

Closest thing I have is a PNG file.
Huskylogic

Postby xide » Tue May 12, 2015 2:59 pm

That's a flattened image aka the hard way lol. What you want is most likely a file he didn't give you, because many of his customers would have no use for it or even know what it is.
If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense.....Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle. I'm afraid I can't explain myself, sir. Because I am not myself, you see?
xide

Return to Business Stuff