Recent issues involving dMaintenance

Discuss any other Foolish IT app here (including the legacy apps dMaintenance, dSupport, etc.)
Suggest ideas for new Foolish IT apps here also.
Forum rules
1. Try to give more than you take, when possible.
2. Don't be a prick.
3. When posting for help, include the app's version, OS details, and steps to reproduce the issue.

Recent issues involving dMaintenance

Postby Freedom PC Solutions » Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:31 pm

I am having this happen on all three of my home machines and four client machines so far. Windows XP, 7, 7 Pro and 7 Home.

During scheduled maintenance a popup shows onscreen saying "google update installer failed with error 0x80040c01". I open task manager and both Patch my PC and dmaintenance are running in the background. I click OK on the error message and even after 24 hours both patch my pc and dMaint are still in "running" mode with zero cpu usage.

Is anyone else having this issue? Can I blacklist Google updater somehow?
Freedom PC Solutions

Re: Recent issues involving dMaintenance

Postby Nick » Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:45 pm

launch PatchMyPC on the system normally and see if Google is an option you can disable. If so (with any luck) it will store the setting in the registry, HKLM\Software\PatchMyPC and you can export it for quick import on the other systems, and in the future when you install dMaintenance on a system.
Author of d7/d7II and other PC technician's tools. http://www.FoolishIT.com

Nick
Site Admin

Postby Freedom PC Solutions » Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:26 pm

Ok I had it ignore Chrome because that is the only Google related object I found. I exported, tested it and it works. Is there a way to have the dMaint installer import that reg entry automatically? You see, I don't install every package. I sell them via a link so my clients can purchase and install themselves. I know it is not that hard to double click a reg entry to import it but you know how some customers can be.
Freedom PC Solutions

Postby Nick » Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:08 pm

it's probably one reg setting, a 1 or 0 value, that does the trick yeah? easiest way would be to have the installer script add that value. I'm going to guess you're using the old dCloud Console to create the installer. that just creates a .ISS file (somewhere) and executes it to create the installer. I don't have the time atm but Inno Setup help file will tell you how to edit the .ISS file to add the reg entry, should be a single line that you need to add. If you remind me Monday I'll see if I can't do that for you. Just need to know the exact reg setting.

Nick
Site Admin

Postby Freedom PC Solutions » Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:56 pm

Yes you are correct on the 0 or 1 value. Very simple. I purchased dMaintenance before you released dCloud and have not yet invested in dCloud. :o I have been having you create the installer for dMaintenance if I need it adjusted.

The line is "SkipGoogleChrome"="1"

I just downloaded Inno setup. Is this what you use to create my installers and is there a way I can create new installers for dMaintenance myself?
Freedom PC Solutions

Postby Nick » Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:35 am

Yes I use Inno Setup, and yes you can create them yourself! I just emailed you everything you need, already included the reg entry in the .ISS script.

Nick
Site Admin

Postby Freedom PC Solutions » Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:18 pm

Thanks Nick. This will work out great for me. Compiled and tested, very easy.
Freedom PC Solutions

Return to Other Foolish IT Apps