Discuss any other Foolish IT app here (including the legacy apps dMaintenance, dSupport, etc.)
Suggest ideas for new Foolish IT apps here also.
Forum rules
1. Try to give more than you take, when possible.
2. Don't be a prick.
3. When posting for help, include the app's version, OS details, and steps to reproduce the issue.

Postby Visioned » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:45 am

I like the idea of not having to click to uninstall everything but with the way autouninstall is now, I can't tell if its uninstalling something or not other than looking at task manager. For instance one of the computers I was working on ran autouninstaller for about 20 minutes. The idea is nice but I think I'd rather have it the other way or have it as an option. Just my 2c

Thanks,
DCW
Visioned

Re: Feedback: Autouninstall with silent switches.

Postby Nick » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:04 am

this isn't the forum for dUninstaller - which is what you are talking about not d7. MOVED.

but the /auto switch perhaps wasn't the best terminology for what it does - it is supposed to be silent. if you need a status indicator run it in GUI mode - it functions exactly the same automation wise except you just have to go to the middle tab, select all, and click uninstall.
Author of d7/d7II and other PC technician's tools. http://www.FoolishIT.com

Nick
Site Admin

Postby Visioned » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:34 am

Ok, Thanks
Visioned

Postby Visioned » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:53 am

I do have an issue with the program however. I did the UI option instead and went to the middle tab. It listed the programs that matched my uninstall definitions and selected them all by default. I clicked "Uninstall Now" and it went through and appeared to uninstall them. However, seeing that one of the programs that it removed was still there (safari), I opened up the Uninstaller UI again and went to the middle tab, and the same programs that it uninstalled were still there. I checked in the add/remove programs to double check and indeed they are still there. Am I using this program incorrectly? I ran this on two machines.

Thanks,
Dcw
Visioned

Postby Nick » Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:01 pm

yikes that is a problem. What is the version you are using? I've had 1.0, 1.1, and 1.2

Actually I thought I had that exact issue in v1.1 and resolved it - perhaps I was mistaken. Question: did the process finish all too quickly (like it wasn't uninstalling at all) or did it take some time.

My recent work to add silent uninstall switches to ALL installers not just MSI based installers may be the culprit - if one of the switches being added isn't compatible I can almost see this problem. I did test with the latest release on MSI and Inno setup but not other installers.

EDIT: installing Safari now to test.

Nick
Site Admin

Postby Visioned » Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:19 pm

I'm not sure how to tell which version I have. I didn't see it on any of the windows and couldn't find an executable. I am running d7 9.7.16 though.
Visioned

Postby Nick » Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:33 pm

Now I'm really confused, you were talking about uninstalling not having a status indicator and that's only available with the /auto parameter (for silent execution) in the stand-alone dUninstaller so I didn't understand how you could be talking about d7 because it does indicate what is uninstalling. Now you are definitely talking about d7... ????

Either way I found the issue with Safari and probably the others as well. It was MSIEXEC based and has the /I switch in it (which would INSTALL/REINSTALL instead of UNINSTALL) the product.

I added in v1.2.1 (of dUninstaller) the replacement of /I with /X and that has fixed the issue. http://download.foolishit.com/dUninstaller.zip

As for getting the fix inside d7 I'm working on another patch today and I can include the fix mentioned above in d7 when I get that released.

Nick
Site Admin

Postby Visioned » Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:46 pm

I didn't mean to confuse you, since I couldn't find the version for duninstaller I posted the version of d7 that I had to try and help. Thanks for working on this. Where do I need to put the duninstaller.exe file? In the modules directory?

DCW
Visioned

Postby Nick » Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:22 pm

Put it wherever you like! d7 and dUninstaller are completely unrelated apps...

I'm still confused as to what product you were actually using: d7 or dUninstaller.

But anyway the fix is now in both apps dUninstaller v1.2.1 and d7 v9.7.22

Nick
Site Admin

Postby Nick » Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:19 am

entirely my fault, for being confused -- I just noticed that in auto mode Auto Uninstall does not display the current app in the progress bar, so I know that is exactly what you're talking about. fixed in 9.7.35 -- my bad!

Nick
Site Admin

Return to Other Foolish IT Apps