Build a WinPE that works with d7/d7II

Re: Build a WinPE that works with d7/d7II

Postby xide » Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:52 pm

Sorry forgot to mention mine is 32bit (and has been the whole time)

I also did a windows 7 32bit version yesterday and had the same failures as last time. The only thing that struck me for .net is working on a computer today, when I launched d7ii, it gave me an error of needing at least .net 2 or greater to run (but still loaded anyway?!) so i figured i'd give that a shot and it worked.
If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense.....Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle. I'm afraid I can't explain myself, sir. Because I am not myself, you see?
xide

Postby Gator Tech » Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:40 pm

Nic,
No i have always assumed (Ha ha you know what that makes me!) to use the 64 bit because of 8.1, but it makes sense as most thumb architecture is still based on fat 32 and 32 bit.

JFYI the 64bit iso builds I have used boot great and if we can integrate d7 directly into the winbuild, I think it should really rock but that's for later. Back on topic, I think I found one of my chief issues with file permissions corrupting my D7 files. I put them in a master file that had Read only permissions set and now I am having difficulty removing the permission and making it stick. So I think I will re-download the D7ii just to ensure I have a good working copy.

I need something working, as I have backlogged myself trying to figure this out, but once I get something going, I will be more than happy to help with the 64 bit issue and anything else in the future.
Gator Tech

Postby xide » Sat Aug 23, 2014 5:27 am

Gator Tech wrote:Nic,
No i have always assumed (Ha ha you know what that makes me!) to use the 64 bit because of 8.1, but it makes sense as most thumb architecture is still based on fat 32 and 32 bit.

JFYI the 64bit iso builds I have used boot great and if we can integrate d7 directly into the winbuild, I think it should really rock but that's for later. Back on topic, I think I found one of my chief issues with file permissions corrupting my D7 files. I put them in a master file that had Read only permissions set and now I am having difficulty removing the permission and making it stick. So I think I will re-download the D7ii just to ensure I have a good working copy.

I need something working, as I have backlogged myself trying to figure this out, but once I get something going, I will be more than happy to help with the 64 bit issue and anything else in the future.

Me personally I only used the 32bit version because of the fact i live in a small low income town, I deal mainly with older machines (over 1/3 still xp). In my previous testing I did try the "master copy" which i referred to in an earlier post as a "core" with no changes made. However I still had the same results, but that may be different with you. If you're like me and deal with alot of older machines I wouldn't bother worrying about a 64bit version to have to switch back and forth with, as other have mentioned before it's not like you will be using it the entire time you're doing a repair, but mainly fixing things you can't do in windows (or the fact you can't even get into windows)

I think i'm still going to try to get the windows 7 version working now, because during my testing it seemed to load/run a lot faster than the 8.1 version did....however I was using the "core" version of the 7se package (smaller version) so i'm sure that has something to do with it, I did not see a core version of the 8pe though. Also it may be worthy to note that a few months back I did try to add d7ii and d7 to Hiren's mini xp, with no results (same as we basically had) I may try it again since there has been many updates since then, but it may not even be possible since there isn't much we can do to modify mini xp.

Oh I thought I should mention once you get all that worked out, there is another feature I saw where you can add your isos, a nice suggestion (what i plan to do) is to add some antivirus rescue iso's to it. I use them alot for troublesome computers, this way I can boot into their linux environment and runs scans on the system. Often times it will help me get past viruses that are blocking me from getting into windows. You could also add UBCD for some diagnostics too. Just a couple of ideas to make an uber flash drive. 8pe + d7ii + bootable anti virus + diagnostics/tools = the ultimate tech tool that fits in the palm of your hand.

Also I do want to thank Nick for the help he provided to get this project up and running, I can imagine how frustrated he might have been trying to diagnose a problem when he can't even see what we're doing wrong (over our shoulder) I know myself get annoyed by this when a client is trying to explain what their "modem" (they mean computer) is doing, I will often get "my computer won't turn on at all" and I later find out they mean they can't get on the internet.

So thanks again Nick for having the patience, and also most importantly giving us this functionality to use d7ii in a pe environment, I do hope more features can/will be added to the offline section if you think of anything that could be useful.

Lastly I wish you the best of luck with your build Gator. Have a good weekend guys! ;)
If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense.....Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle. I'm afraid I can't explain myself, sir. Because I am not myself, you see?
xide

Postby Nick » Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:26 am

xide wrote:Sorry forgot to mention mine is 32bit (and has been the whole time)

I also did a windows 7 32bit version yesterday and had the same failures as last time. The only thing that struck me for .net is working on a computer today, when I launched d7ii, it gave me an error of needing at least .net 2 or greater to run (but still loaded anyway?!) so i figured i'd give that a shot and it worked.

it may have triggered execution of another app that required .net, I don't know how you got that error because it did NOT come from d7II I guarantee you.
Author of d7/d7II and other PC technician's tools. http://www.FoolishIT.com

Nick
Site Admin

Postby Gator Tech » Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:08 pm

It took me alllllllll afternoon to make this darned thing, but finally !!!!SUCCESS!!!!! :mrgreen: You nailed it Nick, the installation has to be a 32bit install. 64 bit is locking up for some reason to be determined later! Of note, most everything Thumb drive related I've seen has been 32bit but because windows 8 is natively a 64 bit op sys, I assumed that was what the build called for.
Now for the record, my steps:
1. used official Windows 8.1 enterprise 32bit trial iso file direct from Microsoft Tech net
2. Created a file called winbuild on root of C: Vista 32 bit Dell notebook
3. Populated with: Nicks Win 8.1SE as noted at beginning of this thread, Created empty folders; ISO, Source, Target and downloaded and copied here Rufus 1.4.10
4. Copied over Windows 8.1 Eterprise 32bit iso as well.
5. Downloaded and cursed profusely at Ultra ISO For simultaneously downloading a ton of crapware onto system (Note: on the flip side something for d7ii to chew on later :lol: ). Used Ultra ISO to extract win 8.1 Enterprise files to the "Source" folder I created in step 3 above.
6. Went to Win 8.1SE folder and launched the "Win81SE82_Builder.exe" important as the 81SE80 is to my understanding a flawed or incomplete previous version not to be touched. EVER EVER EVER!
7. Followed Nick's win-builder guidance as stated in beginning of thread to a T. (Deviate only if you wish to enter 6th level of hell for kicks and STIMULATION!!!!)
8. Made Doublely sure that Source files pointed to those I created in step 5 by using the clear button to the right of file location and then manually inserted the correct file location created in step 3 above. Do the same clear and repopulate for the empty Target and iso file location.
(This is important if you have other iso files on system or have 64 bit copies near by)
9. Once all files where correctly populated I clicked on the blue start button as directed and held my breath!
10. Passed out waiting for build to complete! Build completed successfully creating Three files in the previously enmpty ISO file: WIM folder, Win8.1SE.ini and the all important "Win8.1SE_x86.ISO" All hail this ISO file!!!!
11. closed out the WinBuilder program and went to Rufus in the Winbuild file. Launched Rufus from their and stuck in my 32GB Lexar thumb drive. (Note: previous versions of RUFUS prior to 1.4.10 had issues with always finding the thumb drives if you launched and then inserted the thumb drive into the system.) I Just got the latest build to solve the issue.
12 with RUFUS I clicked on the ISO button to point RUFUS to the new and glorious "Win8.1SE_x86.ISO" residing in teh ISO file created in step 3 and noted in step 10.
13. I clicked on the start button and held my breath. I did not pass out this time!
14. After build completed, I went to my d7ii folder and copied and pasted it into the new thumb drive build programs folder. (Important note: The d7ii had previously been launched and set up with license Key etc.. and updated to ensure a working copy!)
15. I rebooted the Notebook and ensured I pressed the one time boot menu in the bios. I them selected boot from USB boot device and then hit the space bar when the boot screen requested. Windows 8.1 them booted as administrator normally
16. Once desktop fully booted and more importantly the networking completed, I checked the build to ensure I was indeed on a 32 bit build under the system properties tab.
17. I then went to the d7ii file and launched d7ii.exe and viola it worked as normal with the offline tab selected! :mrgreen:

When I have some spare seconds I'l be working on the 64 bit load.
Gator Tech

Postby Nick » Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:30 pm

YESSS!!!!

Nick
Site Admin

Postby Gator Tech » Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:24 pm

Ok the next bug I need to work on (and this may be simply answered with quick links to previous threads) is getting the third party apps like JRT working in USB Offline mode so that they interrogate, fix or do thier thing to C drive instead of trying to fix or remove files from X:
Gator Tech

Postby xide » Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:03 pm

Gator Tech wrote:Ok the next bug I need to work on (and this may be simply answered with quick links to previous threads) is getting the third party apps like JRT working in USB Offline mode so that they interrogate, fix or do thier thing to C drive instead of trying to fix or remove files from X:

Keep in mind some apps won't run properly in a pe environment. As you noticed some assume x:\ is the primary drive. I'm going through various ones myself so I can compile a list of which work and which doesn't. This may be a good thread to post which ones we find that work in PE
xide

Postby vmhs » Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:34 pm

I just tried this with the UBCD mounted via my Zalman VE400. (if you dont have one of these? get one they are awesome)

I have my d7II dir on the VE400 hard drive, it runs great from there.
vmhs

Postby Nick » Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:00 pm

Gator Tech wrote:Ok the next bug I need to work on (and this may be simply answered with quick links to previous threads) is getting the third party apps like JRT working in USB Offline mode so that they interrogate, fix or do thier thing to C drive instead of trying to fix or remove files from X:

you will have to talk to the authors of those programs to get that to happen. if the program isn't written with offline support in mind, there is no way you will get it to work without them rewriting their app.

Nick
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to d7II Support Forum