It took me alllllllll afternoon to make this darned thing, but finally !!!!SUCCESS!!!!!
You nailed it Nick, the installation has to be a 32bit install. 64 bit is locking up for some reason to be determined later! Of note, most everything Thumb drive related I've seen has been 32bit but because windows 8 is natively a 64 bit op sys, I assumed that was what the build called for.
Now for the record, my steps:
1. used official Windows 8.1 enterprise 32bit trial iso file direct from Microsoft Tech net
2. Created a file called winbuild on root of C: Vista 32 bit Dell notebook
3. Populated with: Nicks Win 8.1SE as noted at beginning of this thread, Created empty folders; ISO, Source, Target and downloaded and copied here Rufus 1.4.10
4. Copied over Windows 8.1 Eterprise 32bit iso as well.
5. Downloaded and cursed profusely at Ultra ISO For simultaneously downloading a ton of crapware onto system (Note: on the flip side something for d7ii to chew on later
). Used Ultra ISO to extract win 8.1 Enterprise files to the "Source" folder I created in step 3 above.
6. Went to Win 8.1SE folder and launched the "Win81SE82_Builder.exe" important
as the 81SE80 is to my understanding a flawed or incomplete previous version not to be touched. EVER EVER EVER!
7. Followed Nick's win-builder guidance as stated in beginning of thread to a T. (Deviate only if you wish to enter 6th level of hell for kicks and STIMULATION!!!!)
8. Made Doublely
sure that Source files pointed to those I created in step 5 by using the clear button to the right of file location and then manually inserted the correct file location created in step 3 above. Do the same clear and repopulate for the empty Target and iso file location.
(This is important if you have other iso files on system or have 64 bit copies near by)
9. Once all files where correctly populated I clicked on the blue start button as directed and held my breath!
10. Passed out waiting for build to complete! Build completed successfully creating Three files in the previously enmpty ISO file: WIM folder, Win8.1SE.ini and the all important "Win8.1SE_x86.ISO" All hail this ISO file!!!!
11. closed out the WinBuilder program and went to Rufus in the Winbuild file. Launched Rufus from their and stuck in my 32GB Lexar thumb drive. (Note: previous versions of RUFUS prior to 1.4.10 had issues with always finding the thumb drives if you launched and then inserted the thumb drive into the system.) I Just got the latest build to solve the issue.
12 with RUFUS I clicked on the ISO button to point RUFUS to the new and glorious "Win8.1SE_x86.ISO" residing in teh ISO file created in step 3 and noted in step 10.
13. I clicked on the start button and held my breath. I did not pass out this time!
14. After build completed, I went to my d7ii folder and copied and pasted it into the new thumb drive build programs folder. (Important note: The d7ii had previously been launched and set up with license Key etc.. and updated to ensure a working copy!)
15. I rebooted the Notebook and ensured I pressed the one time boot menu in the bios. I them selected boot from USB boot device and then hit the space bar when the boot screen requested. Windows 8.1 them booted as administrator normally
16. Once desktop fully booted and more importantly the networking completed, I checked the build to ensure I was indeed on a 32 bit build under the system properties tab.
17. I then went to the d7ii file and launched d7ii.exe and viola it worked as normal with the offline tab selected!
When I have some spare seconds I'l be working on the 64 bit load.