Build a WinPE that works with d7/d7II

Re: Build a WinPE that works with d7/d7II

Postby xide » Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:04 am

Did another win8 this time I made sure all startup options were off in my settings, and even used the /offline switch (and f8 fuction)...nothing.
I then decided to bring over an untouched (core) d7ii (has absolutely no modifications at all)....still did the same.
Just made a win7pe 32bit. tried again....still does the same...

The same = puts shortcuts on desktop (website link, work report). shows splash screen ...dissapears

I decided to run a few anti-virus programs from 3PT and had some odd results and some good ones...
a2 cmd seemed to run fine at first...it loaded up, then closed itself
a2 gui works fine though
comodo runs fine...but the text on the buttons is missing
mcafee stinger gave an error saying its incompatible
Kaspersky TDSS seemed to work flawlessly
Vipre loaded up and started to run....but it was scanning drive x (the pe os drive) - then again I am running this off a VM
Super sntispyware loaded up as an install (not portable)...but it allowed me to install it, and even ran in trial mode with no problems.
MBAM allowed me to install, and ran just fine.
(these were on my win7pe build)

I plan to test more scanners...but i'd still rather have d7ii working too for automation as well as some other tools
If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense.....Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle. I'm afraid I can't explain myself, sir. Because I am not myself, you see?
xide

Postby Gator Tech » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:46 am

Well this is starting to look like the build is not complete enough with windows features to fully run d7ii.

Nick, were you able to run this as we make it on another PC? In other words taking a downloaded and isolated copy of d7ii, putting it on a thumb drive and seeing that it works or was this the master production copied to thumb on a virtual client.
please bear in mind, i try not to be rude or condescending sounding here at all but with all Exide and myself have been through to try and get this thing to work, I am left with either transmission error of either D7ii or the creator program or the SE load just is not able to fully accommodate d7ii. I find the later more probable just because of what D7ii does, how it does it and general statistics about difficult software installs.

Another thing I keep forgetting to post is that d7ii for SE will have to be some sort of offline build as most of the issues to correct will be on the offline but viewable C drive as compared to the booted and active X: drive. Most of the programs are designed to fix the active boot drive (X: in this case, but C: in a normal install), Therefore only the offline tab can be used to any great effect as most of the feature attempt to fix X: and not the offline C: partition. (Just my observations currently)
Gator Tech

Postby Nick » Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:14 am

Gator Tech wrote:Well this is starting to look like the build is not complete enough with windows features to fully run d7ii.

Nick, were you able to run this as we make it on another PC? In other words taking a downloaded

and isolated copy of d7ii, putting it on a thumb drive and seeing that it works or was this the master production copied to thumb on a virtual client.
please bear in mind, i try not to be rude or condescending sounding here at all but with all Exide and myself have been through to try and get this thing to work, I am left with either transmission error of either D7ii or the creator program or the SE load just is not able to fully accommodate d7ii. I find the later more probable just because of what D7ii does, how it does it and general statistics about difficult software installs.

Another thing I keep forgetting to post is that d7ii for SE will have to be some sort of offline build as most of the issues to correct will be on the offline but viewable C drive as compared to the booted and active X: drive. Most of the programs are designed to fix the active boot drive (X: in this case, but C: in a normal install), Therefore only the offline tab can be used to any great effect as most of the feature attempt to fix X: and not the offline C: partition. (Just my observations currently)

I'm just going to reiterate: viewtopic.php?f=31&t=1717&p=8536#p8536 -- again the SFX wasn't designed to work with WinPE in the first place, nor does it even make any sense to try that as far as I can figure... but I see you reference it still here and there. Stick to using d7II how it was meant to be used in the situation for future troubleshooting.

There is no "master production" of d7II I don't even know what that would be or what you mean by that. There is no "offline build" of d7II, if so don't you think I would have possibly mentioned that? The resulting WinPE image from Winbuilder, and d7II, work just fine together for I have no idea how many people, but I would guess it is a minimum of 100x the few in this thread with a problem. I can appreciate not trying to be rude or condescending either, but really do you think this is a problem with the software or method, when we are all using the same software and method, and you are but one of a few known people with any sort of problem? BTW you are correct that yes, only the offline operations tab was designed for being used on offline Windows partitions -- hence the name of the tab..

The bottom line is, I can't guarantee d7II to work with any WinPE build, but for me and many others, it does work regardless. As always your mileage may vary, and it obviously has in this case, but I can't continue to help without more info. If you enable debug mode (log it to file) from d7II main menu > debugging, and post/attach results here, that would be most helpful. No promises. I also won't have time to look at it again until next week.
Author of d7/d7II and other PC technician's tools. http://www.FoolishIT.com

Nick
Site Admin

Postby Gator Tech » Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:42 pm

Nick, Xide,

First, apologies for any ruffled feathers to either of you two. Communications I find is an art form all know but few truly master and I am but a novice with dyslexia, so I humbly ask forgiveness.

Nick, I mailed you a debug report just now from within D7ii but I am not sure what good it may do. My main d7ii install on this PC does have some idiosyncrasies as noted in the report, but it does come up and run well once it grabs it's data at launch. FYI I launch D7ii from a desktop icon I made of the main executable ( d7ii.exe) located on my D: storage drive, a separate physical drive. Full link "D:\Tool Chest\D7II\d7II.exe" It is also fully updated to version 2.0.7 as of this morning. Within the D7ii folder on D is the following files: folders; 3rd party tools, Config, Modules, Scripts. Then the files or compressed files; Codejock.Controls.v15.31.ocx, cpr854.zip, d7ii.exe, D7II.zip, dBug.exe, dBug shortcut, dBug_Undo.cmd, dBug_winPE.cmd, Shortcut for KillemAll and Finally RICHTX32.OCX

Just to clarify, I created the Win8.1-SE boot iso as you described and followed your steps with no deviance or alterations. I then plugged the USB drive into my windows 7 Pro PC and then viewed the iso file with P2G's Iso viewer and copied over the files directly to the USB drive. Once that was built,. It was seen as Drive F locally. I then simply copied over the entire D7II folder and pasted it to the Program Files folder on the USB drive (F:). I then took the USB Drive off the computer and plugged it into my Notebook PC nearby. I booted to the USB's Win8.1 Se and it came up normally. I then proceeded to the Program File's on the Se's Y: drive and clicked on the d7ii.exe within the D7II folder located their. The executable launches and the white box identifying splash screens flash for one second and then nothing else happens. Launching the task manager next, I find no D7ii programming is running in any of the tabs, services, processes nor Applications. Repeated attempts to have it run from various locations and permissions yields the same results.

Nick based on your last statement that 100's of people have followed your advice and done nothing else and it works great for them, I am left with my installation of D7ii seemingly must be corrupt, missing a file or one of the files is lacking the proper (typically installed that way, but not in my case) permissions as it is the only common denominator I have left.
Gator Tech

Postby Gator Tech » Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:05 pm

Just a quick addendum. I tried my D7 install as well. Both work on my Vista laptop booted to Vista, both work on my Windows 7 PC as win 7. When you boot to the Win Se even the locally loaded variants of d7 and D7ii do not work. Of note the D7 gets the furthest along with the splash screens locking up at the loading screen. So I am left with something not quite kosher with the SE build if both my D7'd work loaded straight. My iso's i use are from OEM windows 8.1 home premium 64 bit. I am wondering if they need to be Pro to add needed functionality with everyone using Enterprise iso's.
Gator Tech

Postby xide » Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:25 pm

I might have found something....let you know in a couple of hours once I compile and test it.
(at work, so i'm working on it during available free time)
If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense.....Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle. I'm afraid I can't explain myself, sir. Because I am not myself, you see?
xide

Postby Gator Tech » Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:01 pm

Good luck! One last thing is I found many of the D7ii and D7 were listed as read only and trying to undo that attribute did not take.
Gator Tech

Postby xide » Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:22 pm

Got it!!! Its loading up fine now, I didn't even have to modify my d7ii one bit, such as changing startup options or anything. It goes straight to the offline tab also.

first off I used one of the links for enterprise the program supplied and I had previously posted. This previously had the same results as my oem copy however.

The most important part which is I believe the problem has been all along is that you have to have .net framework checked (its under the "components" category on the menu)

I selected to install 2.0/3.0/3.5/4.5...but MOST IMPORTANTLY scroll to the bottom and click "Enable Feature Fx3" which will allow it to be installed in permanent mode.

I did have trouble the first time getting it to stay permanent as it gave me an error...so after it compiled I ran it again and it went through with no errors. Then I installed it to my usb drive with Rufus, and drag/dropped my d7ii folder (not mini version) into the programs folder.

So I think this needs to be added to the instructions for those very few who have trouble getting it to work unlike the 100x lucky ones.

Have a good weekend Gator, hope this helps you out! Cheers! :mrgreen:
xide

Postby Gator Tech » Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:26 pm

Thanks I'll try this out right now and post results!
Gator Tech

Postby Nick » Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:37 pm

Sorry xide, but what else did you do differently? d7/d7II (nor any of my apps for that matter) do NOT use the .NET framework, in any form, any version, in any way.

Was it that you tried a 32bit version?

Gator, you said 64bit. ah HA!

Have either of you tried making WinPE from a 32bit version?

To be honest I haven't even been able to get an ISO created with the 64bit versions to boot yet. At least in a virtual environment. :\ So I have no clue if d7/d7II would work in them or not. I can imagine one possible scenario but I would need some additional debugging and detailed feedback to track it down.
Author of d7/d7II and other PC technician's tools. http://www.FoolishIT.com

Nick
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to d7II Support Forum