Don't uncheck a skipped step due to download error

Don't uncheck a skipped step due to download error

Postby campbedj » Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:17 pm

Every once in a while, I'll be running a Malware scan on a system and for various reasons nothing can be downloaded. Sometimes it happens from the beginning, sometimes the network connection isn't ready after a reboot and auto-continue, but what happens is my list of tasks I planned to run all get unchecked very quickly. I'd almost rather have auto mode come to a stop when a download fails. Or go on to the next step, but try again later. Or just leave the task checked so I can go back and run the ones that failed later.

Thanks for your consideration and hard work, Nick!
Devin
campbedj

Re: Don't uncheck a skipped step due to download error

Postby laplandz » Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:33 pm

+lots x4
.. ...
I can walk on water, but I can’t perform miracles.
laplandz

Postby bored369 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:28 pm

I see the problems with that, but I also see issues with it as well on the automation side.

Before we get into it, I wanted to note that if a download error occurs and it's not within the custom app itself (where it would probably pause automation if it were) the custom app doesn't get logged to the work report if it fails to download and moves on. So there is a way to tell if it ran correctly or not as far as d7II can tell.

Next the problems with stopping it in automation.
Leaving it checked would have d7II infinitely try to go back and run those again. Each time d7II finishes an app it looks at the sections again (left to right, top to bottom) and runs the first check it finds, this way you can add/remove items on the fly during automation. Might not seem like a problem in cases where network connectivity is restored later and it works, but the problem would come in if the custom app download is broken (either invalid/changed download link or the 3rd party servers aren't accessible). d7II would just continue to try and try but never be able to complete.

Possible solution now if you wanted to make this happen is to add to each of the custom apps profiles, to have them wait for processes of the various browsers (ie, chrome, firefox, etc) This would pause the automation to wait for you to try to download the app manually or close out the browser before moving onto the next app. Now this would copy those app profiles so any of the default apps wouldn't be maintained by Foolish IT anymore they would be in the Users Custom apps.

I'll point this out to Nick as well and see if there is any Nick Magic he can think of programing wise that would work best in this situation.
Chief Operating Officer, dSupportOnline official support of Foolish IT
& long time tech friend of Nick & avid Foolish IT product user since before Foolish IT was even created!

bored369
Foolish IT Staff

Postby Nick » Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:52 pm

if a skipped item weren't unchecked after a download fail, it would just keep trying and failing - so fast that it would appear d7II would be locked up and for all intents and purposes yes it will go "not responding" until some condition allowing it to proceed becomes true, or you kill off the process.

even going through the effort of adding in checks and balances and retries, it isn't going to fix anything until the appropriate fixes are made so that it either recognizes internet access or actually has it.

trying again later, that is something I can work with. I have ideas on how to approach that but I don't want to get into it right now because implementation may not be so quick...
Author of d7/d7II and other PC technician's tools. http://www.FoolishIT.com

Nick
Site Admin

Postby laplandz » Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:02 pm

How about this, change the trigger for "go to webpage for manual download" to a d7ii box alert which says "Check your internet connection and come back to me!" this box effectively pauses the auto-mode with the options to "Stop auto", "Continue auto", "browse for the app" & "try manual download" (which opens the webpage for manual download). Would be nice if it gave audible/visual notice also.

Not sure on usage, but this could also be a function called "Pause d7ii in auto-mode".
.. ...
laplandz

Postby laplandz » Wed May 06, 2015 4:09 pm

Am Bumping more than i've ever bumped before! 3rd in the same day!

Am wondering if this is still up for consideration?
.. ...
laplandz

Postby xide » Wed May 06, 2015 10:54 pm

I +1 this and raise you a "help apps have better awareness of other apps running" example: Herdprotect will begin to uninstall and ADW will still launch before it finishes. even though wait for app termination is checked. This isn't the only time I've seen it, but only one I can think of for an example at the moment.
If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense.....Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle. I'm afraid I can't explain myself, sir. Because I am not myself, you see?
xide

Postby lvtech » Fri May 08, 2015 8:42 am

This would be great, having a box alert pausing the auto mode would be nice.
lvtech

Return to d7II Feature Suggestions