default 3PT download location

default 3PT download location

Postby laplandz » Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:47 pm

I'd really like to utilise our NAS and wondered if we could have the ability to set it as a default download location using the ketarin profile, to better explain ...

what we'd have to do and setup
1. create a 3 party tools folder on our NAS (the master/root/default folder, whatever you wanted to call it)
2. set a schedule on an admin machine to download d7II's default ketarin profile and if necessary, save it to the default folder on the NAS (this should keep file & folder structure as expected for when running d7II on the same LAN).

what d7II would do for us
1. allow us to set the location of our default NAS folder as the main download location through the config (i.e. standard http/ftp downloads wouldn't need any alterations)
2. if the \\ LANaddress couldn't be found, than the standard http/ftp locations are used
3. allow us to tell d7II through the session start prompt that we are running from our LAN, idea being that it might stall/timeout, if it didn't make a difference, this would be unnecessary. Also, i have remoted customers who also have a \\diskstation and am unsure if this would cause an issue.
4. make better use of the Admin tab in config by assigning an admin-pc to not only run the ketarin profiles, but to also either auto copy it to the NAS or download apps direct to the NAS if possible, I.E. avoid duplicate copy of the 3PT being on the admin-pc and the NAS, although not a biggy for my usage/milage.
5. alert the admin-pc or email ourselves if the ketarin profile failed or if a particular app has failed, this would be used to inform yourselves.
6. if we had to re-run an app a couple of days later, the default NAS would still be used as the main download location when the app's config is set to re-download every xx days.

A similar request was mentioned during BETA testing, Nick did some experimenting that didn't really work out. I think this was mainly due to the problem of setting the 3PT folder to the NAS folder, this is not what i'm suggesting. What i am putting forward is the idea that when running d7II, it copies the required app from the NAS to the local machine and runs it locally.

Any thoughts?

Lee
.. ...
I can walk on water, but I can’t perform miracles.
laplandz

Re: default 3PT download location

Postby Xander » Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:56 am

But D7II doesn't use the NAS. When I run D7II from my NAS, it just copies itself local and ask if I want to copy the 3PT folder with it. If I say no, it downloads everything and ignores the existing full 3PT folder on the NAS. (FWIW, the only program I know of that won't run from a NAS is Tweaking.com's repair utility; nothing else seems to mind).
The only workaround I've thought of for this is to set absolute UNC paths for every config (\\nas\d7\3pt...) rather than relative ones that will run local. If I do that, though, it will be useless if I try to run D7II on-site from a flash drive.

You're better off running Ketarin on a local system, updating the 3PT folder so that, when it copies all the files, it's copying recent ones. :/
Xander

Postby laplandz » Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:52 pm

Xander wrote:But D7II doesn't use the NAS. When I run D7II from my NAS, it just copies itself local and ask if I want to copy the 3PT folder with it. If I say no, it downloads everything and ignores the existing full 3PT folder on the NAS.

that's why i posted in the feature suggestions area, mine does the same and figured my approach could work.

Xander wrote:The only workaround I've thought of for this is to set absolute UNC paths for every config (\\nas\d7\3pt...)

Imagine this:
1. Being able to enter that info just once into the config supplied by 'Nick-magic'.
2. When you run ADWcleaner, it goes to that location, copies ADW to the local machine and then runs it locally.
3. Ta-Da.

Xander wrote:You're better off running Ketarin on a local system, updating the 3PT folder so that, when it copies all the files, it's copying recent ones. :/

Were you speed reading Xander, or more likely, i'm shit at explaining anything :oops: (and i was sober when i wrote the original post!)
laplandz wrote:2. set a schedule on an admin machine to download d7II's default ketarin profile and if necessary, save it to the default folder on the NAS
.. ...
laplandz

Postby bored369 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:43 pm

I was discussing this idea with Nick and he has some 'Nick-magic' possible solutions he thinks he could implement, but right now this is added to the bug tracker as a feature request. We will post a revision update or back here if he comes up with something at that time.
Chief Operating Officer, dSupportOnline official support of Foolish IT
& long time tech friend of Nick & avid Foolish IT product user since before Foolish IT was even created!

bored369
Foolish IT Staff

Postby Xander » Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:04 pm

Yeah, I did probably speedread that part :) I'm also fighting off a nasty cold.

Copying files from the NAS shouldn't be necessary. ADW, for example, has no problem running from a NAS and, like I said, the only program I've found that objects is Tweakings.
The better feature suggestion might be to have -two- 'run from' paths; one for NAS and, if not found, *then* look in the local 3PT.
Xander

Postby laplandz » Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:59 pm

i had also thought about the two run-from paths, but i could foresee some issues when multiple machines are running an app at the same time. at time of writing, our workshop has 26 machines on the benches, 12 of which are in various states of cleaning malware/virus/general maintenance. we also have another 5 waiting for a bench space which need cleaning. The problem i see, is if one app is running and another machine tries to overwrite it with an update or whatever, it could cause a problem.

You're idea (bar using tweaking) is already available isn't it, can you not just change the 3rd party tools location through config > debugging > view/modify session data. or change the "3PTDir" location under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Foolish IT\d7II\Session\Paths. I haven't tested it myself but assume thats why we are able to modify the session data.
.. ...
laplandz

Postby vmhs » Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:43 pm

what you really need is a caching proxy, it will give you the result you want
vmhs

Postby laplandz » Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:03 am

vmhs wrote:what you really need is a caching proxy, it will give you the result you want

sounds like it's over complicating it. the reason I feel a "copy from" location is simpler is I don't run every tool on every job, my 3pt folder on our test bed pc is about 1.5 gb and I wouldn't want to, or need everything on every machine.

another factor which actually made me make the original suggestion in the first place, is we lost our Internet for a day a week or so ago because some twonk of an engineer cut our phone/broadband cable whilst giving the flat above our shop a new line. we were copying the files across manually for d7ii from the test bed pc. in hindsight I probably should have just changed the location through session data to test it, just didn't think of that at the time.

Sent from my ForwardXtreme using Tapatalk
.. ...
laplandz

Postby Nick » Sat Feb 07, 2015 7:25 pm

modifying session data not a good plan, would serve in a pinch but I wouldn't count on it in all situations... fear not, 'nick magic' ideas working here.
Author of d7/d7II and other PC technician's tools. http://www.FoolishIT.com

Nick
Site Admin

Postby laplandz » Wed May 06, 2015 4:02 pm

Nick wrote:fear not, 'nick magic' ideas working here.

:cry:

(Softly Ninja-Bumping)
.. ...
laplandz

Return to d7II Feature Suggestions