D7II Suggestions (small but effectively missing!)

Re: D7II Suggestions (small but effectively missing!)

Postby bitznpcz » Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:08 am

Just checked my version of MBAM in the 3rd Party Tools folder and it is version 2.03.1025.
bitznpcz

Postby Nick » Fri Dec 05, 2014 3:17 am

Psychlone wrote:So still no one else has chimed in about the MBAM not updating? How can I be the only one?

good question, but I can't answer that. it updates for me and everyone else it seems.
Author of d7/d7II and other PC technician's tools. http://www.FoolishIT.com

Nick
Site Admin

Postby xochipilli » Fri Dec 05, 2014 4:58 am

Psychlone wrote:So still no one else has chimed in about the MBAM not updating? How can I be the only one?

Had the same problem with Malwarebytes2 about a hundred times, indeed after first updating all apps with ketarin first, so you're not alone ;)
xochipilli

Postby Nick » Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:46 am

ok I stand corrected, there are two of you. So can one of you explain what Ketarin has to do with this, because its usage is completely independent of anything d7II does.

From what you are describing, you are saying that the latest version of MBAM isn't getting downloaded by the custom app config. But it does indeed download the latest for me and everyone else it appears. I can't seem to fathom any scenario where that URL would give you two an older version when it gives everyone else the current one.

Nick
Site Admin

Postby xochipilli » Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:07 am

Did some tests.
On a d7ii, where version 2.00.0.1000 was still in 3rd party tools, ran ketarin which did not update mbam2
Then ran mbam2 from d7ii, which installed the version from 3rd party tools, Mbam2 then updates itself so the old installer remains in 3rd party tools.
Then i removed the old mbam2 from 3rd party tools and ran mbam2 from d7ii which then installed the most recent version (uninstalled mbam2 first offcourse).
xochipilli

Postby Nick » Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:42 am

ok you are still involving Ketarin which is not part of the d7II custom apps system and has nothing to do with it.

from what you are describing, you are saying that d7II does indeed download the correct version, so this isn't the other person's problem unless I misread it.

what I gather from your description is that if a dated version already exists in 3pt, d7II will use that dated version instead of downloading fresh. True. I would love to come up with a way to make that 'smarter' but d7II currently has no way of knowing if MBAM released a new version or not, it just sees that the download is there and uses it rather than re-downloading what it assumes is the same file. It did occur to me that I don't have a "re-download after xx days..." setting enabled for it, and that can be remedied and though it wouldn't completely resolve your issue it would help in a number of situations.

Nick
Site Admin

Postby xochipilli » Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:38 am

Nick wrote:ok you are still involving Ketarin which is not part of the d7II custom apps system and has nothing to do with it.
: True

It would be nice if it could be set to allways download Mbam no matter if there is allready a version in 3pt, maybee as an DMZ download? ;)
Or, if a new version is being found by mbam, to wait for it being installed and run, instead of going to next app in the auto mode, like combofix (and some other apps?), are handled.

But "re-download after xx days.." option is fine for me too :D
xochipilli

Postby Psychlone » Wed Dec 24, 2014 1:01 am

I'm both glad and frustrated that someone else has this same problem.

@Nick - we're saying Ketarin because that's what's not pulling in the latest version of MBAM. I fully realize that Ketarin does nothing but update the 3pt apps, I have ***extensive*** knowledge of Ketarin having used it for years before I found D7.

That being said, I've just made sure to manually remove the old version of MBAM from every USB stick every time I find out that there's a new MBAM release. Why it's just the 2 of us I can't tell you. Other than the fact that it won't auto-update itself or redownload regardless of if there's an existing version, this is still happening to me.

I concur with what xochipilli said - if I remove the older version, then D7ii will download and replace it, but if any version already exists in the 3pt folder, it will run the older version which then results in that version telling me that there's a newer version available.
I don't like the idea of it being a DMZ exclusive - if it's part of what I paid for in D7ii, I would expect that it would work as it's supposed to - and if it's a fluke, it's a fluke - I understand that you're not going to fix something that only affects 1 person. But, having it download a new version EVERY time it's run would be beneficial, as well as setting it to wait for it to run before moving on to the next program in queue.

.... just clarifying. Ketarin or not, it's the update process we're talking about.
Light in the absence of eyes illuminates nothing.
Psychlone

Previous

Return to d7II Feature Suggestions