Proxy notification in System tab and resets

Proxy notification in System tab and resets

Postby Xander » Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:18 pm

Just cleaning up a well-infected laptop. Think I'm in the homestretch. I'd spotted a proxy early on and was reasonably certain that, between D7II's network repairs and the scanners, that it was taken care of but it was being re-added by the trickiest of the bunch. Just got that guy and Hitman noted the Proxy was still there. D7II Proxy reset seemed to take care of it BUT....

Could "Proxy In Use" be added to the System tab alerts? I'd hate to run the risk of assuming I'd gotten everything and still have left a proxy setting in place. And, if added, could clicking the alert run (or offer) the Proxy Reset?
Xander

Re: Proxy notification in System tab and resets

Postby EagleTech » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:04 pm

+1
EagleTech

Postby laplandz » Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:16 pm

+1,seems sensible to me

Sent from Tapatalk
.. ...
I can walk on water, but I can’t perform miracles.
laplandz

Postby mrapoc » Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:47 am

+1 yes please
mrapoc

Postby rtdrumz » Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:10 pm

+1 It would be nice to have a visual aid instead of going through the process of manually opening. Which I do on every system.
rtdrumz

Postby Xander » Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:23 pm

Seems to have gotten some positive response. Any feedback?
Xander

Postby Dustin D » Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:43 pm

+1
I always check that manually too. Maybe in the networking info under the System Info Tab.
Dustin D

Postby bored369 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:34 pm

There's already an internal function for "Clear Proxy Settings" would having that in your regular routine not be the best idea here? I have rarely (if ever) run into someone who uses Proxy settings legitimately that didn't know how to set it back up if you just clear them out as part of your SOP.

That being said, I think it would make a good alert item as well, where double clicking it just runs the Clear Proxy Settings function. I added it to the feature request list in the bug tracker.
Chief Operating Officer, dSupportOnline official support of Foolish IT
& long time tech friend of Nick & avid Foolish IT product user since before Foolish IT was even created!

bored369
Foolish IT Staff

Postby Xander » Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:34 pm

"Clear Proxy Settings" was referenced in the first post. I'm sure there are plenty of times where a machine comes in for one reason but we have to change our focus (infected machine with a bad drive; a random crash that looks like a windows glitch but need to rule out virus). Having an alert right off the bat for this would be good to push it to the forefront. I've had a couple of PCs come in just in the last month for mundane things and the user neglected to mention that there were tons of popups/etc going on.
Xander

Postby bored369 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:54 pm

I know it was mentioned, I was just saying that's part of my every fix routine and would normally just run it everytime as standard operating procedures for any problem. But I am one to check over and optimize a computer no matter what reason I'm working on it for. My suggestion was more along the lines something like having a quick profile you run on a system no matter what the original problem was that would include things like clearing proxy settings, deleting temp files, a quick av scan, quick malware scan, etc. Where I'm coming from with that is any system I look at I look at it like it was my own system and would be comfortable running it in my own home before I give it back to the client. It does take some extra time, but I feel it saves you call backs and warranty work and improves customer appreciation and repeat business. That's just my two cents on it all, to each their own.

But back to the OP topic; I did add it as a feature request cause it was a good idea and it has gotten positive feedback (even Nick liked the idea as well when I brought it up to him), so it's not a something that couldn't be added in the future. I was just adding my own suggestion to the problem in the mean time.
Chief Operating Officer, dSupportOnline official support of Foolish IT
& long time tech friend of Nick & avid Foolish IT product user since before Foolish IT was even created!

bored369
Foolish IT Staff

Return to d7II Feature Suggestions