change ftp password

change ftp password

Postby laplandz » Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:17 pm

our hosting company is requiring us to change the ftp password we use for dSS as it's not "complex" enough and i would like to know how this could be done with current deployed clients.
We've come to a compromise with the host that mid March the existing user account will become permanently read-only, which i figured would prevent the clients from "not updating" existing configs. What i was hoping to do is simply create an additional ftp account with a different username and password (meeting complexity requirements) but with the same homepath and wondered if i could use the "deploy dSS client update" to alter this information as the clients may not update for extended periods of time.

I would also like to enquire what would happen/could be done if i enter the new ftp-user information into the management console in regard to existing configs, what i'm getting at is, will a different ftp username & password with the same homepath have any issues with manipulating/editing/viewing existing configs if required?
.. ...
I can walk on water, but I can’t perform miracles.
laplandz

Re: change ftp password

Postby Nick » Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:40 pm

with the same homepath for the new FTP user, I believe things would work out ok if all clients had plenty of time to update from the old FTP user credentials first.

the issue you will have is that in dSSMC setup, the credentials in that field are only propagated to newly created client IDs or templates, not existing ones. In the actual client software configuration interface, there is no way to modify these values and it has to be done in the actual dSupportSuite.ini file. So that is a manual process for all client IDs deployed.

believe it or not I'm looking at what I can do to the Mgmt console right now in prep for a new template/client ID system I'm conceptualizing. Let me look into the implications a bit further and I'll expose some method of altering all of the existing Client IDs en masse for the new credentials...

Edit: forgot to say, you are confused I believe by the Client Software Deployment menu, as you were referring to the option "Deploy dSS Client Update" in the menu. That all refers to the client software itself - the actual dSupportSuite.exe and other binaries that run on the client's machine. Will try to make that language more clear. To deploy new configs, like with new FTP settings (as I will work on getting done for you) you use the Upload Config options for the selected Client IDs.
Author of d7/d7II and other PC technician's tools. http://www.FoolishIT.com

Nick
Site Admin

Postby laplandz » Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:24 pm

Many thanks for giving this some consideration, am more than happy to guinea-pig anything you'd consider beta-testing if needed.

Nick wrote:conceptualizing

Love that word :)
.. ...
laplandz

Postby Nick » Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:53 pm

Ok here's the deal. I started writing a function to do this:

1. download everything from your server account as it is currently
2. extract config archives and modify all of them with the new settings
3. upload everything back to the server.

What I ended up doing was some complicated series of events and message box YES/NO or OK/CANCEL prompts, taking into account all of these different variables and usage scenarios like migrating to new servers and other things, putting data on old and new servers simultaneously or doing it all on one server, download/upload with different credentials of course being a part of it, and other things...

Then I realized that a complicated series of prompts was getting difficult to manage to make flexible so of course I need a form with checkboxes and that means more code for independent functionality.

Then it occurred to me that there would be no point to doing any of this the way I was doing it if I was changing the way the Mgmt Console interacts with a server (which I'm actually working on now) and that I can simply add the functionality of multiple server/user account mgmt, and all I need to worry about is transferring the configs from one to the other with a modification to the copy in the destination folder, and I'm back to a more simple model with less to do that makes sense, is easier for you to use, and adds more functionality and grouping options. Of course there are other considerations and I won't get into it now...

Then I quickly realize I needed to just do it for you, since you have 2 weeks essentially to lock in an upload and ensure it is going to work out the way you expect.

So I started back to the way it was -- then it finally occurred to me that I can just do the transfer FOR you, and I don't have to rush creation of a whole new system, nor do I have to complete this project to take into account all the potential failures, retries, and etc. being handled by someone that just isn't me and doesn't know what is going on at various stages in my obscurely thrown together implementation of a migration tool. Monitoring every stage of the process and doing it one phase at a time is going to make it go a lot quicker, and then I can get back to doing the new system right.

PM me for details, though I might email you first when I work out some thoughts on it just so it doesn't slip my mind.

Nick
Site Admin

Postby laplandz » Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:23 pm

Nick, just wanted to say many, many thanks for sorting this out for me, it would have taken me weeks to log into each machine and change it manually.

I was talking to the boss today concerning what you have done and something occurred to me... i'll admit that i for one, had some less than complimentary thoughts and concerns which i made public towards the paid-for-support options you had introduced with dSupportOnline, i have to say that my confidence in your expanding company has grown even further. Never once in this thread, or in the many emails you sent did you ever mention i'd need to purchase additional support, nor did you even hint at it (I wasn't expecting you too and the thought didn't come to me until after you sorted it, but hey, you could of).

Keep up the good work buddy and perhaps this could be a catalyst towards near-future advances in dSS :)

Lee
.. ...
laplandz

Postby Nick » Fri Mar 06, 2015 5:05 pm

laplandz wrote:Nick, just wanted to say many, many thanks for sorting this out for me, it would have taken me weeks to log into each machine and change it manually.

I was talking to the boss today concerning what you have done and something occurred to me... i'll admit that i for one, had some less than complimentary thoughts and concerns which i made public towards the paid-for-support options you had introduced with dSupportOnline, i have to say that my confidence in your expanding company has grown even further. Never once in this thread, or in the many emails you sent did you ever mention i'd need to purchase additional support, nor did you even hint at it (I wasn't expecting you too and the thought didn't come to me until after you sorted it, but hey, you could of).

Keep up the good work buddy and perhaps this could be a catalyst towards near-future advances in dSS :)

Lee

Thanks Lee. It is difficult to make clear the intention of charging for support, but it isn't about situations like this. All I will say on the matter is that if you have been in business long enough you notice patterns in your business, customer base, and the support that is expected from you (including the reasons for the support requests themselves), and you generally know what to expect (which is occasionally, the unexpected!) So I often find it easier in the long run to set expectations lower than you actually deliver. I didn't even consider charging for the operation for several reasons, but the larger one is that I wanted the software to do that anyway, and already had began designing ways to make that easy for you to do without any support at all... your situation also contributed to some ideas behind the nodes concept - viewtopic.php?f=25&t=2215

Nick
Site Admin

Postby Nick » Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:44 pm

to clarify my vague statement a little:

there are several situations where one might request "support" from a vendor. As a consumer you know most are valid and don't warrant compensation. As a provider of products/services yourself, or working for someone who does, I believe you also know that there are still a few situations that are "gray areas" and/or completely justify compensation for additional time spent. However it comes about, the justification to charge for a support scenario can happen for a number of reasons not all of which are anyone's 'fault' or imply anything negative about anyone. as just one example I frequently "leave it for the pros" even though I am fully capable of doing it myself, and I can think of a number of good reasons for anyone to do so depending on the situation.

what was attempted was to set an expectation to cover the increasingly frequent scenarios we faced within this particular company and customer base as it has grown so rapidly in such a short time, the majority of which are not available as public record or even in a graphed measurable form because the vast majority of cases until now have been handled start to finish entirely via communication through a single private email address, and not even within the same container over the years but scattered across different services and files; often these requests were initiated by customers as a reply from the original purchase confirmation/details email - there simply was no tracking, remember this business started as a hobby for me, and it grew so quick I didn't think to prepare for that growth, so only recently after bringing others into the fold has it been necessary to actually expand to a ticket system!

The point is, you have no way of knowing what we face in our position because you only know your own personal reasons for requesting support and what is found here in the forums, then it is perfectly understandable you aren't seeing the intent of the situation simply because you aren't seeing the CAUSE of it, and I realize now how setting the expectation in the way that it was done comes across as upsetting to the vast majority of people it doesn't even affect, which is the irony part...

Regardless, however the situation is handled in the future, I can assure everyone here that we try our best to ensure that any determination of the need for a paid support option is completely FAIR, not only to us but to you as well in the size of "the bill" should we feel it is an effort worth compensation. We want to make money, yes of course, but what I am stressing to you is that we are human too, with what I believe are morally "good" ethics, and we really do want to be fair about earning it, and do a good job for it not just for you but so we feel like we earned it. We really are that type of people...

Also I would be a fool not to recognize the "how" it happened (a simple and honest formula really) and the "who" that made it happen (you all) in Foolish IT's current success, and I fully intend to ensure that we continue to follow and respect the same formula and process that got us here today, to the best of our ability.

I do appreciate any understanding that you can give in this matter.

Nick
Site Admin

Postby laplandz » Sat Mar 07, 2015 9:17 pm

Nick wrote:to clarify my vague statement a little: ....

I totally agree, Customers expectations can be wild at times and you try to offer the support they expect, but ultimately you find yourself spending so much time trying to give them what they want, you have no time for the "real" stuff that might actually earn you some pennies.

From a personal perspective speaking about the whole dSO/dMZ thing, my initial fears were you wanted to charge people for all help and support, i think the biggest problem was the time-scale for "public" information concerning what was going on. This allowed us, the users to think the worst, make assumptions and then make accusations, with hindsight it's far easier to paint a better, nicer picture.

Also, as a heads-up, I now see dMZ as more "Assisted Support" not "paid-for-support", from what i've experienced and read within this thread alone, it's clear and somewhat obvious that you already offer support within your product subscriptions or purchases. Paid-for-support just seems bad wording and certainly gave me the wrong impression initially.

You're doing good mate, just keep doing what you do.
.. ...
laplandz

Return to dSupportSuite Support