Where are the templates

Where are the templates

Postby stevenamills » Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:54 pm

Can anyone tell me where the template files are? My list has never populated and starting over every time is a pain. Everything always vanishes. Maybe I can move something around, redirect or...

Thanks for any help.
stevenamills

Re: Where are the templates

Postby Nick » Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:26 pm

Steven,

I'm not sure what could be going wrong for you, can you explain the entire issue better? Why are you starting over and what is vanishing? There aren't any 'default' templates if that is what you are asking.
Author of d7/d7II and other PC technician's tools. http://www.FoolishIT.com

Nick
Site Admin

Postby stevenamills » Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:15 pm

I'll try to explain:

When I start out the "Select Config Template:" is empty. I then create a template - the config pops up - I do what I need to do - I test - it works - I save and close the Config. All looks OK.

I can then close the program and when I reopen the "Select Config Template:" is, again, empty

Example 2: - I can create a template and it's there in the list (never more than 1 in my "list"). I can highlight the template and select "Copy to New Template". I give the template a new name when requested and the blue box pops up in the lower right corner telling me it is copied and then the "Select Config Template:" box is again totally empty.

It's always been this way.

If you need further examples I can supply.

Steve
stevenamills

Postby Nick » Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:28 pm

sounds like something is preventing it from saving the configs in the first place. permissions maybe..

delete: C:\ProgramData\Foolish IT\dSupportSuite Mgmt Console\Templates

and also

C:\ProgramData\Foolish IT\dSupportSuite Mgmt Console\LocalConfigs

to be safe. then start dSSMC, and let it create the appropriate directories and hopefully all would be well... if it persists, can you verify if the template files are being created inside the \Templates dir?

Nick
Site Admin

Postby stevenamills » Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:31 pm

Nick,

I see what's happening, but have no solution except moving all of my stuff to another machine - not something I really want to do.

After you pointed me to the Template Directory, I began to realize this is the very same issue I have always had with Datagrab. They control you are using just does not like my setup. If you recall, we never got an error with Datagrab, but the list of users never populated. In other words, D7 saw the proper files, but never listed them in the box.

I see the same thing happening here. When I try to copy one template to another it says it is done, but nothing ever shows. I didn't code this, obviously, but I'll bet it's the same control.

When I go to S:\Programdata........ I see the templates that were created. Interestingly, I can recreate the same directory structure on C: and still they don't show. I'm sure this would make sense to you - the coder.

For further clarification, I know you see a lot, I have an SSD C: drive and point all of my data stuff to S:.

Anyway, I didn't want to waste your time or mine on an unsolvable problem, but thought I would let you know the results.

Steve
stevenamills

Postby laplandz » Sat Jun 07, 2014 7:22 am

Steve how are you "pointing" the data to s: i had a very similar issue with the same hdd setup c: = ssd, user data=d:
i initially achieved this by changing registry locations for the user profile path, but this caused an upset with their bespoke database system. i then did it through ntfs junctions and everything just "worked".

if you're already doing it through junctions then i'm absolutely no help to you :'( but if you need help setting it up, let me know and i'll talk you through it :)
.. ...
I can walk on water, but I can’t perform miracles.
laplandz

Postby stevenamills » Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:50 pm

laplandz wrote:Steve how are you "pointing" the data to s: i had a very similar issue with the same hdd setup c: = ssd, user data=d:
i initially achieved this by changing registry locations for the user profile path, but this caused an upset with their bespoke database system. i then did it through ntfs junctions and everything just "worked".

if you're already doing it through junctions then i'm absolutely no help to you :'( but if you need help setting it up, let me know and i'll talk you through it :)

I could use help. Like you, changing the profile paths caused issues on a couple of programs.

Basically, here's what I did and still no joy:

I changed HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Windows NT/CurrentVersion/ProfileList ProgramData from %SystemDrive%\ProgramData to S:\ProgramData
and created a junction using mklink "C:\ProgramData" "S:\ProgramData"

Right now, I've hit a wall. Help would be appreciated.

Steve
stevenamills

Postby laplandz » Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:20 am

i dont think you should have the registry entries and junctions, i'll write further when i get home later, got go and enjoy the school run right now :'(
.. ...
laplandz

Postby laplandz » Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:13 pm

Sincere apologies Steve for not getting back to you sooner, been incredibly busy with blah blah....

I'm unsure about the registry entry, but i dont think you need that, when you create a junction it creates a file-system-level shortcut. they operate at a much "lower" level in the file system and silently redirect the access requests. its like digging a tunnel under the file system meaning its completely invisible to most user-ran programs.

did you delete/rename c:\ProgramData before making the junction? you can't have a junction with the same name as an already existing folder.

i think the steps would be:
boot to command prompt in recovery console
robocopy c:\programdata s:\programdata /e
ren c:\programdata-old,
mklink /j c:\ProgramData s:\ProgramData

think thats all thats needed. don't think you have to mess with registry (i didn't and its been working for over 6months now). when a program saves to c:\ProgramData, "NTFS" will automatically direct it to the s:\ProgramData with Windows not caring about it, hence the reason no registry alterations are needed.

you could test this with just the c:\ProgramData\foolish IT folder first whilst in Windows,

create s:\dSS
copy the "dSupportSuite Mgmt Console" folder from c:\ProgramData\foolish IT into s:\dSS
rename the original to Foolish IT-old
open cmd with admin privs -> mklink /j "c:\ProgramData\foolish IT" s:\dSS

when that's done you should have the Foolish IT folder in c:\ProgramData with a shortcut type icon. i would also export then delete the registry entry, if the junction is working, then i dont think it'll be needed.

not sure if this would be of any help but its worth a shot :)
.. ...
laplandz

Postby Nick » Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:23 pm

interesting, thanks lap. If that doesn't do it, try using sysinternals junctions I've had success with that. there actually is a wrapper for it within d7/d7II.

Nick
Site Admin

Next

Return to dSupportSuite Support