Crap Killer Yes an other toolbar remover (very tiny)

Discuss Custom Apps used with d7/d7II/dSupportSuite, including dCloud shared apps.
Also discuss Ketarin usage and issues here.
Forum rules
1. Try to give more than you take, when possible.
2. Don't be a prick.

Crap Killer Yes an other toolbar remover (very tiny)

Postby Tarnous » Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:37 am

Tarnous

Re: Crap Killer Yes an other toolbar remover (very tiny)

Postby Nick » Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:58 am

not sure why this was posted here, moved to 3rd party apps discussion.
Author of d7/d7II and other PC technician's tools. http://www.FoolishIT.com

Nick
Site Admin

Postby Xander » Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:30 pm

Interesting. I'm going to work this in to my Maintenance set to see how it does. If it fares well, I'll add it in to my GFI scripts.
Xander

Postby wmmiller » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:38 pm

I’ve messed with Crap killer a little. The manual version seems ok, but I don’t dare try the automated version as I just don’t trust it to decide things for me. The one thing I don’t like is that when the manual version is done running and it didn’t find anything it just goes away. It would be nice if it stopped and said it didn’t find anything.
Bill
"Resist We Much"
wmmiller

Postby Xander » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:33 am

Took me a little to figure out it was doing that. I started it manually and walked away, expecting to come back to a list but it was gone. Finally sat and watched it find nothing and poof.

I've given feedback on its page that I'd like to see a little clearer usage in it -- put the filter stuff at the top of the script for easier editing, make a way for exceptions (if they're there, they're not obvious). I, for example, want to be able to exclude the Google toolbar as I have enough customers that do use it.
Xander

Postby Nick » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:50 am

I looked at this batch script not long ago and felt it was a little 'young' for inclusion in d7. I don't like the 'automated' option since it is the author of the app who decides what gets removed and what does not - it should be up to you, fully configurable. Well, it IS fully configurable as it is just a batch script, however not everyone has this knowledge, and updating the script from the author would overwrite your personal modifications and require you to re-code them.

Probably great for those who remove everything, as Xander pointed out there are customers who do use certain toolbars. For me, it would be better re-written to use whitelist/blacklist functionality. It could be coded to read line by line a plain text file with a rule set instead of 'hard coding' them into the batch... If it ever gets to that point I'll consider inclusion in d7 but until that time I don't think it's a good fit.

EDIT: not to mention this exact functionality can be duplicated with dUninstaller functions and definition files, especially now that I've updated it to match partial strings in the definitions, so it's really quite redundant for d7 users who are actually using d7 native functionality to it's full potential in that area...
Author of d7/d7II and other PC technician's tools. http://www.FoolishIT.com

Nick
Site Admin

Return to Custom Apps Discussion