a2cmd update

Discuss Custom Apps used with d7/d7II/dSupportSuite, including dCloud shared apps.
Also discuss Ketarin usage and issues here.
Forum rules
1. Try to give more than you take, when possible.
2. Don't be a prick.

a2cmd update

Postby xide » Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:03 pm

I noticed the a2cmd update that I have running before my a2cmd scan isn't working. It will start but say 0% and then close. I went to Emisoft's forums, and noticed i'm not alone. The employee on that forum said to downloaded the core version at http://download5.emsisoft.com/a2cmd.zip ...I looked at d7's a2cmd config, and saw http://download2.emsisoft.com/a2cmd.zip is there a difference? Is it a newer version?

Now with what d7 downloads from the above link, does that mean it will have all the latest defs? So in theory I could simply have it download a2cmd each time and skip this update part (that isn't working) is that correct?
If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense.....Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle. I'm afraid I can't explain myself, sir. Because I am not myself, you see?
xide

Re: a2cmd update

Postby Nick » Sat Sep 27, 2014 9:45 am

I'll get that config file updated today, sorry for the delay.

there is no reason to skip the a2cmd update, it only takes a few seconds. the part that takes so long is the initial download of the app - which is of course necessary for the app to run and perform its update ;)

EDIT: and yes I just checked, from the #5 server download, you still need to run the app update - but again, takes maybe 30 seconds at most.
Author of d7/d7II and other PC technician's tools. http://www.FoolishIT.com

Nick
Site Admin

Postby xide » Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:07 pm

Was this fixed? Im pretty sure I ran it the other day and it updated just fine...but today it did its usual thing, and brought up the cmd box briefly with 0kb of 100% displayed and closed out to move on to the next item in the list. I am running the latest (as of this post) which is 3.2.40.
If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense.....Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle. I'm afraid I can't explain myself, sir. Because I am not myself, you see?
xide

Postby Nick » Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:40 am

it was in a default apps update - check the config for it and see what the download server is listed as. this could just be their servers are flaky ...

Nick
Site Admin

Postby xide » Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:42 am

It's probably flaky.... I just tried again with the latest emsisoft update and then I also tried the new update and full scan with same results, so I think it's on their end.... I'll try it again later today.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3
xide

Postby xide » Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:44 pm

No change as of 5pm ish

FYI all other apps update, connection is fine on system. Also tested on my system at time of this post 10:43pm, so i'm not sure what could be going on with their servers.
xide

Postby Nick » Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:48 am

kept forgetting to come back to this thread!

In my testing the other day, it was successfully doing the update one minute and failing the next, same machine. Actually it worked initially but failed every subsequent time I tried it. At the same time I had others trying it with similar results but mostly it was failing.

Then I discovered that the full download already comes with the latest definitions - they are always current if the full 200MB download is re-downloaded every time...

So really, the update profile is only worth worrying about if you haven't downloaded the full package - which means it's old but surely a few days is ok. I ended up changing the always re-download app feature in the custom app's config to re-download daily. The worst case scenario here, is that you are re-downloading a 200MB app every day. At least you aren't doing it *all* day...

Now if that isn't good for you, you can adjust that re-download frequency yourself, and the setting change will now be preserved so in the event of a default apps update your custom setting won't get overwritten. This is on the "Persistent Settings" tab in the custom app configuration, and yes everything on that tab is preserved and not overwritten with default apps updates, provided you save it with the "Save Custom Settings Only" button.

Nick
Site Admin

Postby xide » Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:27 pm

That was the solution I suggested in the first post, I just wasn't sure if that download would have the latest defs of that day.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 8 tablet
xide

Return to Custom Apps Discussion