Ninite

Discuss Custom Apps used with d7/d7II/dSupportSuite, including dCloud shared apps.
Also discuss Ketarin usage and issues here.
Forum rules
1. Try to give more than you take, when possible.
2. Don't be a prick.

Re: Ninite

Postby Xander » Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:49 pm

Kicks ass, Nick.
Xander

Postby osigoldman » Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:47 pm

Feeling excited about your vision Nick! Great stuff
osigoldman

Postby Midnightbomber » Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:07 am

Nicely done. Looking forward to it in a (very near) future release.
Midnightbomber

Postby EagleTech » Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:36 pm

We use Pro here, also. Has been a HUGE time saver. I used to pull updates with Ketarin to our server, then we would pull installers from there. In my experience Patch My PC & Soft2Base have been a bit too buggy. Ninite just does it right.

Haven't looked into it, but is there a way to selectively do desktop icons when installing or updating? (Firefox icon OK, Adobe Reader no)

As far as what programs Ninite supports, goto the website and submit suggestions! Maybe a thread could be started here with suggestions?
EagleTech

Postby xide » Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:13 pm

I've been using ninite one for a long time too. I have been trying to find a free alternative, patch my pc is the only thing that seems to come close, but it doesn't do all the things I want it to do...and I can't save multiple configurations. I also wish ninite were allowed to keep Ccleaner on it, but they were asked to remove it.

I have my d7ii setup with my ninite packages under the install section. I have my basic pack (flash,reader,etc.), one with office, one with a free av, etc. that I configured I used the /silent switch and check which ones i want and click auto :)
If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense.....Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle. I'm afraid I can't explain myself, sir. Because I am not myself, you see?
xide

Postby Nick » Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:19 pm

It is encouraging to know that there is interest in this idea, and even better to see that I'm headed in the right direction! thanks guys!

EagleTech wrote:Haven't looked into it, but is there a way to selectively do desktop icons when installing or updating? (Firefox icon OK, Adobe Reader no)

Not within the same custom installer or niniteone command execution, it's all or nothing. So one thing you can do right this minute is separate your apps into two different custom installers and/or niniteone commands, one allowing the shortcuts and one removing them.

So glad I got a Ninite account (thanks guys @ Ninite BTW!!) so I know this stuff.

later on once I get the functionality implemented, we can address this within d7II/dSS by allowing for multiple niniteone "profiles."
Author of d7/d7II and other PC technician's tools. http://www.FoolishIT.com

Nick
Site Admin

Postby ajgyomber » Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:11 pm

Do not disable auto-update for iTunes. It really screws it up. I think it's very cool the integration you are adding.
ajgyomber

Postby Coolrunnings » Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:43 am

I too have been using NiniteOne.exe for several years. Before D7II, I'd have to say that was the single most effective time-saving app I had. Now that has changed! :-) Your vision of how to use it looks perfect, Nick. Really looking forward to seeing this implemented!
Coolrunnings

Previous

Return to Custom Apps Discussion