Winzip Driver Updater

Discuss Custom Apps used with d7/d7II/dSupportSuite, including dCloud shared apps.
Also discuss Ketarin usage and issues here.
Forum rules
1. Try to give more than you take, when possible.
2. Don't be a prick.

Winzip Driver Updater

Postby Cbettencourt » Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:45 pm

Hi,
Can someone help me or setup Winzip Driver Updater to work the same way or similar to Hitman Pro within D7?
http://www.winzip.com/driver-updater.html

D7 is just an incredible IT program and a really good driver updater will make a great addition.

Plus I am working to solve a driver problem and This would be a perfect opportunity to see if this program could solve my driver problem.

Thank you.
Cbettencourt

Re: Winzip Driver Updater

Postby Xander » Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:36 pm

You're not serious, are you? Winzip is software that's been "selling" for years and there's never been a reason to buy it. $30 for their "driver updater" which, to be honest, has already made it on my list of dUninstall software?

If you want it, here's the easy-to-find download link: http://download.winzip.com/wzdu/wzdu10.exe

When you add it to your Config, please check the "Do Not Share" checkbox -- that's one you'll want to keep to yourself.
Xander

Postby Cbettencourt » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:43 am

Hi Xander,
I am new to the D7.
I am trying to resolve a driver issue with one computer.
But since am am on this subject it would nice to have a driver updater added to the D7.

It can be any driver updater.

I have been using many 3rd party software for a few years but D7 brings it all together into one neat IT package.

Can you walk me through adding any driver updater to the D7?

Thank you Xander.
Cbettencourt

Postby Xander » Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:30 pm

There are links in my signature for the D7 manual. Not to sound snarky but you should read it. Here's the specific page you're looking for.
http://www.foolishit.com/d7/online-manu ... stom-apps/

The only trick I've found to adding any app is finding the right URL for the download. Some sites make it dynamic so you can't have it download it on a regular basis automatically. A work-around for that would be using Ketarin to download it for you on a work PC and have it save it to your Dropbox account. Sometimes there is no good way to download a fresh copy other than manually and that's why you fill in the app's website info while you're at it.

If you're not already, you should sign up at Technibble (but only if you're a legitimate tech, not a hobbyist). Search its forums as driver updaters have been brought up often enough. I don't worry about them because "if it ain't broke...."
Xander

Postby Cbettencourt » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:40 pm

Hi Xander.
I graduated from Herzing College in the field of computer networking.
I am CompTia certified.
I am also Apple certified.
I am presently employed full time.
I repair IPhones 3, 4, 4S, 5, 5c, 5S.
I repair iPads.

I repair many apple laptops and Windows laptops and desktops.
I am doing a lot of data recovery.

I have a lot of pictures my co-workers have taken of me working on these devices.
I am building a portfolio so I can present it when looking for another job.
I hope this helps you to understand me a little more.

I am new to the It industry.
I do not have very much It experience.
The D7 is new to me.
I have a lot to learn and it is ongoing.

Any help coming from other technicians is welcome.

Thank you Xander very much for your help.
Cbettencourt

Postby GEGeek » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:29 pm

Cbettencourt
I understand where you are coming from with the request for the driver updater. But honestly, I've tried so many over the years and just haven't felt totally comfortable just handing over the duties of updates to a program. I have crashed quite a few systems in the past with those. I am though always curious as to what they find, but then I performed my checks/updates manually, except Microsoft updates of course. That's the only thing they do right. ;) But if you should happen to find one you trust, then the 3rd party apps section in d7 is perfect for that. Just make sure it's portable and free if possible. Good luck. Let's us know if you find one.
Mike
GEGeek - I don't reinvent the wheel, I just link to it.
http://www.gegeek.com
GEGeek

Postby Cbettencourt » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:18 pm

Hi Mike,
You have summed if all up in your reply to my post.
I have had exactly the same experience.

Thank you Mike
Cbettencourt
Cbettencourt

Postby xide » Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:18 am

Cbettencourt wrote:Hi,
Can someone help me or setup Winzip Driver Updater to work the same way or similar to Hitman Pro within D7?
http://www.winzip.com/driver-updater.html

D7 is just an incredible IT program and a really good driver updater will make a great addition.

Plus I am working to solve a driver problem and This would be a perfect opportunity to see if this program could solve my driver problem.

Thank you.

I figured i'd help in your search, the last few months I have been using iobit Driver Booster http://www.iobit.com/driver-booster.php I have always been skeptikal of such driver programs but in a couple of cases I was willing to try anything. This software has done the trick everytime I have used it and have officially added it to my custom apps. Of course you have to install it to use it, but I add it to my duninstall profile to take care of that once I finish. Best part is it's free, fast and small. I hope this helps.
If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense.....Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle. I'm afraid I can't explain myself, sir. Because I am not myself, you see?
xide

Postby Xander » Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:25 pm

ioBit was caught redhanded stealing Malwarebytes' database a couple of years ago. I don't trust that company as far as I can throw them.

3DP is good for finding (not updating) drivers but they've started bundling crap with their main download (FYI)
Xander

Postby EagleTech » Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:10 pm

I'm in total agreement with Xander about iobit, as well as everyone not recommending driver updaters in general.

Although a fresh install where there is not a working restore partitions / disks I will use DIA (Driver Installer Assistant), which uses DriverPacks. You still have to pay attention or you can have issues. YMMV.
EagleTech

Next

Return to Custom Apps Discussion