Starting a Win8 Refresh/Reset from the CMD

Everything related to Windows issues that isn't covered under Malware Removal.
Forum rules
1. Try to give more than you take, when possible.
2. Don't be a prick.

Starting a Win8 Refresh/Reset from the CMD

Postby Xander » Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:03 pm

shutdown /r /o /f /t 00

As Admin, obviously

Got a PC here with an Explorer crash loop and other issues. Already backed up her stuff but couldn't get to PC Settings to start it off.
Xander

Re: Starting a Win8 Refresh/Reset from the CMD

Postby xide » Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:40 pm

if you get to the logon screen, I hold ctrl + shift and click restart to get to the refresh screen. or the power on/off 3 times trick Is that what you meant?
If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense.....Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle. I'm afraid I can't explain myself, sir. Because I am not myself, you see?
xide

Postby Xander » Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:36 pm

Power switching wasn't working for some reason and it had already been set to Autologin before this new symptom. Thought I'd through this out there as something that can be simply run from Task Manager.
Xander

Postby xide » Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:21 am

I must have been half awake when I read this and didn't notice the subject said CMD (oops)

I also forgot to mention my other option. http://www.thewindowsclub.com/windows-installation-media-creation-tool
This nifty tool will allow you to create a bootable Windows 8 usb (home and pro but not RT), as you probably know already from there you can go into the tools selection and select the refresh or enable the startup menu. This should cover all the options you could need from there. If i'm not mistaken you will also see the factory restore in there as well. As a side note if it's 8 or 8.1 it doesn't matter with this tool (in my experience)

I hope this helps. It's still a great tool to add to your arsenal for all 8 reinstalls.
If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense.....Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle. I'm afraid I can't explain myself, sir. Because I am not myself, you see?
xide

Return to My Windows Are Broken!