What does d7 mean?

Yep, this is the 'absolutely everything else' forum - discuss whatever you wish here.
Forum rules
1. Try to give more than you take, when possible.
2. Don't be a prick.

What does d7 mean?

Postby xide » Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:03 pm

For quite some time I have been wondering what "D7" mean. I don't see any way that it could relate to the name "Foolish" or even "Nick", and where did the 7 come from? certainly that 7 is important for some reason or else D7ii would have been called D8.

Anyone else have a guess? Best I can come up with is Nick plays guitar and is referring to the D7 chord, but I think that guess is completely wrong. I'm not convinced that it's just some random letter and number. it seems that "d" is very significant because he puts it in front of "dSupport" "dUninstaller" etc.

I guess I am the type that thinks about insignificant stuff way too much, been over a year now and I just had to post this question. I'd love to hear (read) everyone's best guess on it......maybe at the end of the week we'll find out who won. (if Nick tells us) :)
If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense.....Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle. I'm afraid I can't explain myself, sir. Because I am not myself, you see?
xide

Re: What does d7 mean?

Postby EagleTech » Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:43 pm

I have wondered the same thing! I even asked once in email (Also I haven't seen the story about the "d"s. Why "d"?). While Nick was wonderful enough to handle my issue, he didn't answer my question.
*gets popcorn*

Lets start this. Hex?

http://hextodecimal.com/index.php?hex=D7
http://www.hexdictionary.com/hex/D7/
EagleTech

Postby Nick » Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:04 pm

OK I guess I made you wait long enough. This was I think explained in my first ever podcast on Podnutz, but I don't think I've ever explained it in text.

First, "d" is in front of other apps for two reasons. First because the base line code for most of my apps generic functions was originally written for d7, so being a spawn of d7 I wanted to keep something in the name. I also am horrible at naming things, so I decided that shoving that "d" in front of an otherwise generic sounding app name would make it unique enough to call it "mine" yet still get the message plainly across as to what the app actually does (e.g. dMaintenance)

---

d7 probably originally does refer to the chord, I'm not sure. d7 as I knew it first was a song from "Is This Real?" by The Wipers, an early punk band headed by Greg Sage that was highly influential with a lot of later grunge bands. d7 was covered most notably by Nirvana, who also covered their song Return of the Rat, and these were on Fourteen Songs for Greg Sage and The Wipers, a variety compilation with Hole and a bunch of lesser known names. Yes believe it or not, I had heard of The Wipers before Nirvana...

Completely by chance I was listening to The Wipers when I was trying to think of the name for d7, though I don't think I was listening to that song or probably even that album, but d7 struck me - and I was looking for clues in anywhere I could find them. Since as I said, I'm horribly unoriginal with naming, it was far better than something dumb sounding and generic like "Virus Killer" or even what I had initially called my real first app, which later became d7's Offline Operations tab; that was called "AutoTBC" and that horrible generi-acronym stands for "Automated Tech Bench Computer" ...

My actual logic behind using "D7" was this: A name that makes no sense, with a number in it for absolutely no damn reason, is very "hip" and "cool" with the young'ins. Even for the older folk it's just mysterious and makes you want to know WTF it is about. At the time d7 was conceived, the hottest thing on the music scene is for every new band to have a number in their name, for absolutely no damn reason other than it sold records.

Though I never understood why the name+number thing seemed to sell so well, I did recognize that d7 was bound to become popular if tech paralleled music in any way, because more no-talent ass-clowns than ever before were rising to the top of the radio playlists fitting that name+number description. (Not at all saying d7 is a no-talent ass-clown, but to be honest I didn't have much faith in my ideas and product at the time just because I've always undervalued my work, so I figured I needed all the help I could get by using a catchy and mysterious name.)

BTW though I could never find out for sure one way or the other, I really think it certainly had a positive effect on d7's popularity.
Author of d7/d7II and other PC technician's tools. http://www.FoolishIT.com

Nick
Site Admin

Postby laplandz » Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:25 pm

at least its not unoriginal or dull like the classroom or chair number you sat in when you had the Ulrika moment for it, if such a thing existed.
not attempting cuddles here, more on a serious note, but your response is why i like you, and why i like you doing your software, it seems more honest, it doesn't feel like your selling something you've thought would make a million dollars, more like you're the master-contributor to your own software.

With respect to undervaluing your own work, you should consider that a trait, not a flaw, it surely makes you part of the technical department (more leader, but that sounds all "diplomatic") I wouldn't for second think you were associated with the sales team (thankfully).
trying not to go all Dr Suess, but I could not, would not, possibly should not dare express, how many people i know you've helped with CryptoPrevent, you've made it freely available when you didn't need to and only charge those who require automation in their lives.

Going all Jerry Springer with a final thought... the original post is titled "What does d7 mean?" for me, it means i know a technical innovator that has the ability to listen, respond and act upon the needs of the few, as well as the many regardless of their personal or consequence of ability. Your a tech trying to keep shit simple in a world of complexity, simple's.
.. ...
I can walk on water, but I can’t perform miracles.
laplandz

Postby Nick » Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:57 pm

wow.... thank you!

Nick
Site Admin

Postby xide » Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:31 am

All this time you probably assumed I had no life and thats why i'm always here...that may be true but I was also trying to find clues to this mystery. Looks like I was pretty damn close with my d7 chord guess! I'm kinda creative as to what I name programs other times not so much, but mine are usually based off military strategies or star wars references when it comes to virus removal. Before I found d7 I made a program called "Jedi mind tricks" which mainly just did optimizing programs, service packs, and remove/install antivirus. The d7ish (virus removal) program i made before the discovery of d7 was called "Lethal injection" and I made a multiboot flash drive called "Gas chamber" to boot multiple antivirus rescue discs (which I still used....until this new 8.1se project).....and thank god you didn't go with the name "Virus killer" I don't trust and refuse to use UVK just because of the generic name it has.

My wife got so confused/annoyed because I would come up with some different program, that did something else, or I would just rename an old one and she couldn't remember what did what. I had this one bootable flash drive I named "The Kraken" she was having a hard time removing a virus and i said "RELEASE THE KRAKEN!" then she realized where I got the name. Shes glad we found d7 now, because it reduces us down to 1 program and I can name it whatever I want...because it will still be the only program we use because it does everything and more than the programs I would make.

Now that this mystery is solved I can finally sleep at night :D
If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense.....Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle. I'm afraid I can't explain myself, sir. Because I am not myself, you see?
xide

Postby Nick » Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:50 am

oh UVK, I honestly wasn't even thinking of that when I wrote "Virus Killer" haha!

Nick
Site Admin

Postby EagleTech » Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:32 pm

@xide - LMAO @ "RELEASE THE KRAKEN!"

Never was a fan of UVK...

We started writing our own (in AutoIT). Not being clever with names (plus it was for internal use only), we called it EagleFix (this was also before getting the domain). We had basic repairs, scripts, reg fixes, & scanning automation in it. Maintaining it was a b*tch for several reasons. After the initial developer left we found the code was a damn mess. We were in the middle of a re-write when we found d7. We dropped the internal code, moved to d7/EagleFix 2, and haven't looked back!
EagleTech

Return to General Chat