Remote Support Software

Hardware, Software, Managed Services, Remote Support, Industry News, your tech shop setups, whatever else.
Forum rules
1. Try to give more than you take, when possible.
2. Don't be a prick.

Re: Remote Support Software

Postby indy-pc » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:07 am

Bill, I think I would eventually like to host my own website, mail server, etc.. I just can't justify the additional cost right now. I'm a mobile tech operating out of my home. I use Comcast (residential) as my ISP with 25/5 Mbps. To get a static IP, I would have to change to a business-class service and my bill would more than double each month. That's just not feasible right now. Maybe in another year or two...

AJ, thanks for the tip. I'll keep that in mind. I would certainly prefer it if I didn't have another monthly bill if I could help it.
indy-pc

Postby wmmiller » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:46 am

@indy-pc. SimpleHelp offers a standard 21 day trial. You could give it a try using a hosting service as ajgyomberand suggested to see how it works out for you. I for sure can understand the money issues.
Bill
"Resist We Much"
wmmiller

Postby Xander » Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:33 pm

Hard to believe that nobody has mentioned ScreenConnect. $250ish to own it outright with updates for a year. I host it on my main PC with port forwarding on my router. Simple simple. Version 4 has introduced some great features, too.
Xander

Postby ProZinc » Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:24 pm

@Xander. We have a couple ScreenConnect licenses too. Agreed, very slick and easy to host. Not sure about simple-help but it seems it is the same price range as ScreenConnect. After looking at their page for a couple minutes I'm not sure why anyone would go with them over ScreenConnect.
ProZinc

Postby ajgyomber » Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:48 pm

Simple-Help has the following advantages over ScreenConnect:

- Works on Macs without needed Java to be pre-installed
- Can remotely access a Mac when the screensaver has been activated
- Is drastically less expensive at 5 licenses ($380 to be exact)
- It can be integrated for one-click access via LabTech
- Easily scriptable installer that allows me to dynamically create groups and sub-groups for better remote agent organization
- Has port-tunneling capability
- Has diagnostics mode which allows for performance monitoring, remote console, services, registry and apps.

That being said, I really liked ScreenConnect's toolbox feature, mobile access and UI.

--AJ
ajgyomber

Postby Xander » Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:30 pm

"- Can remotely access a Mac when the screensaver has been activated"
Huh? I've done that a hundred times on a Windows PC.

"- Has port-tunneling capability
I've never had to assign ports for a connection. Ever.

"- Easily scriptable installer that allows me to dynamically create groups and sub-groups for better remote agent organization"
SC can create custom installers that include a company name (used for whatever). Within the dashboard, you can create groups with a filter based on that dead easy.
Xander

Postby paj1234 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:29 pm

I use TightVNC. It is free (GNU GPL) from: http://www.tightvnc.org/. This procedure is called Reverse VNC. I call it Screen Sending because the customer sends their screen over the Internet to me. It works fine but it only works on my PC at home, I don't have a static IP, and getting the session established isn't a one-click job.

1. In Firewall Rules on my router/modem, I configure Inbound Service VNC (TCP:5500) to the static LAN IP of my Debian GNU/Linux PC.

2. In Debian, I run TightVNCClient in listening mode, only when I need to use it, like this:
$ xtightvncviewer -bgr233 -compresslevel 9 -listen

3. I use a small shell script to see the WAN IP address currently assigned by my ISP to my router/modem. This is the IP I need to give to the customer in the next step.

4. Then the tricky bit. For Windows customers, I direct the customer to install TightVNC (if not done already), run TightVNC Server one time only, "Attach Listening Viewer", then enter my WAN IP obtained in step 3. Described here: http://www.pjc.me.uk/vnc/. For Mac customers, the equivalent of TightVNC Server is called Vine VNC. http://www.pjc.me.uk/vine-vnc/.
paj1234

Postby Noel_2 » Thu Nov 28, 2013 3:35 am

It’s really great that you are working like crazy. We should be passionate about work. So that we can do our best in particular field. Check this Self storage software too. If it can help you in any possible way. It is generally used for management purpose.
Noel_2

Postby Marshall » Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:34 pm

indy-pc wrote:I have only been in business for almost two years and my annual profits are still only 4-figures so far.

Oh boy I'm not sure where to start.

Firstly, I wouldn't really focus much on your remote service as long as you have something that even remotely works. Your first and only object should be finding a way to increase your sales, and revenue so you're making more than 4 figures a year. Reduce ALL of your business expenses to zero if you have to, and spend your money on fliers, ads, business cards, and gas to go door to door if you have to. Sitting behind a screen doing remote services isn't going to land you more business fast, unless you're doing something no one else is doing, like a 30 second one click remote "fix-all".

You own Nick's products it sounds like, which is great. If you don't own CryptoPrevent yet, I suggest that you purchase it asap, because it has a lot of resale value to EVERYONE that believes their data is valuable to them. That's anyone who saves photos, tax records, music, videos, business files, everything. The people behind that evil ring started out by charging $300/per, and now there are reports of $1,400/per infection. If you can't find a way to turn a profit off of protecting your customers off of this tool, well I'm not sure what to tell ya.

So let's break it down. If you're not profitable right now, today. You in my opinion should do one of two things.

1. Cut your spending, so you can become profitable.
Cutting spending is pretty obvious. Whatever currently isn't bringing you an average 60%+ ROI, I advise you to drop it like it's hot. Use free services, until you can afford a professional tool.

2. Invest in the right thing, so you can become profitable.
Not long ago, I thought I new how to run my business, and then I hired a marketing team. This was the second best immediate improvement my business had ever seen (d7 being the first, because it was paid in full after 1 service call, and generating tons of profit ever since). I learned, am I'm still learning, sales & marketing. This allowed me to turn around and find more powerful tools, similar to d7, and use them within my business to start asking for higher prices (even higher than my competitors).

You should really pick just one thing you're really good at, and if that's doing maintenance, or removing viruses, SELL SELL SELL. All day long, be sure that's the 1 thing you focus on, why? Because it's already what you're stellar at, and being better at something than someone else, is what brings you more $$$.

When you're ready, even if that's now, because my advice doesn't apply to you.
Look into Teamviewer for your business, or LogmeinRescue.

I use LogmeinRescue, and can tell you that it is a rock solid platform for advanced remote malware removal, speed, and quality connections.

I however know that Teamviewer is much faster to get a live connection going, and competes with Logmein in most all capacities (If I move to anyone in the next 6 months, it will most likely be Teamviewer)

If you're looking for a way to implement a website connection, you should honestly purchase one of these products that supports a web connector, or pay for a PSA that integrates with your remote software.

I hope I've been of use, and that my advice is relevant for your business currently. A lot can happen in a short time, and I'm sure you're going to get out of the 4 digit rut you're in quickly.
Help Me With My Computer Tech
IT Services & IT Consulting Services In Southern IL and St. Louis MO
Marshall

Postby allanroger » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:19 am

You can try using on premise RHUB remote support appliances. It uses floating licenses, hence no limitation on number of users.
allanroger

PreviousNext

Return to General Stuff