Customer intake

Hardware, Software, Managed Services, Remote Support, Industry News, your tech shop setups, whatever else.
Forum rules
1. Try to give more than you take, when possible.
2. Don't be a prick.

Customer intake

Postby xide » Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:36 am

I spoke to a customer on the phone that told me she had just taken her computer to "Tiny Metal Paper fasteners" (just masking the real company name just in case)

Anyways she stated that she took in her computer and they did a quick check and told her she had over 1200 viruses. Now i'm not sure if they did this in front of her or just pulled some number out of the air, but it got me thinking....how do the rest of you prove/tell a customer they're infected? Some infections are obvious like a big fbi warning, or fake security software. As for myself i've also seen several computers that appear to be "normal" or just a little slow to have a large infection.

99.9 % of the time people just take my word for it. the 00.1% is the guy who thinks his friend/neighbor/guy on craigslist can do it for cheaper. I think it would be nice to have a tool that appears to look proprietary to your business (your logo, custom name, etc.) to diagnosis these situations since I already have hardware diagnostics software that does that for the most part.

Maybe that would be a nice new idea for Nick (dDiagnostic) it could be a simple program, that runs a quick scan silently (maybe a2) and reads the log file and displays the results on the interface. I think it would be nice to show them something on a screen or printout so it doesn't look like you're trying to pull one over on them, most people already don't trust computer techs these day due to the shady ones that rip people off.

Please share your thoughts...and if you wouldn't mind share your methods as well.
If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense.....Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle. I'm afraid I can't explain myself, sir. Because I am not myself, you see?
xide

Re: Customer intake

Postby Psychlone » Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:19 pm

A long time ago, I customized my copy of Webroot System Analyzer with my logo, etc.
Then the new one came out and I never customized it because I simply don't use it anymore - but you're on to something HUGE here.

I base everything I do around my interest in time. If it takes me 10 minutes to complete a task, I'm going to find a way to half it - throughput is money.
So that's why I used to use Webroot System Analyzer - it's very fast. In under 2 minutes, it would produce a nice-looking report that showed infections, etc. and it was easy and convenient to "provide proof" that a customer's computer was infected.
The main problem with it (and the version that replaced it) is that it misses 90% of the current malware that's out there nowadays. I've scanned dozens of BADLY infected computers with it - even recently hoping they've increased their detection rates, but they haven't.

So on those occasions that I had a problematic customer that requires "proof" that their system is infected, I ran GSI from Kaspersky. --Except now I can't open any flipping reports on the GSI parser page (http://www.getsysteminfo.com/) - I know this is a known bug with the GSI and I found my way around it a while back, but it won't allow me to open any GSI reports anymore for some reason.

Anyway, Nick, this would be a VERY valuable tool in our arsenal - a way to show "proof" that a customer's computer is infected. Maybe someone can just figure out what is wrong with the GSI parser but it would be way better if we could brand it with our own logo.

This also falls in line with Xide's other suggestion of adding some pizazz to the reports that D7II produces - "Tiny Metal Paper fasteners" company produces a nice-looking DHT file that has embedded graphics and is easy to understand, easy to read with sections and subsections, and just generally looks nicer. They produce these DHT documents with their own proprietary software that used to be based off of a Norton product.
A "Before" report and and "After" report that shows that everything that was found in the preliminary scan (for "proof" of infection) was fixed would be a GREAT addition to D7II.
Light in the absence of eyes illuminates nothing.
Psychlone

Re: Customer intake

Postby xide » Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:52 pm

operation gliiter reports is done lol. I did a few, but I finally decided this clean cut simple look was the best.

From some research I see that "tiny metal paper fasterners" is now using Norton Tool Kit, which is about as effective is the regular norton. I think this may be what they are using to determine if the computer is infected.

If you or anyone is interested here are some screen shots of my template. It's a 1 page design, each file is loaded in the center window. You can add more button across the bottom, I have placed holders for them that say "unknown"
Attachments
malware_logs.jpg
malware_logs.jpg (186.59 KiB) Viewed 1775 times
work_report.jpg
work_report.jpg (133.6 KiB) Viewed 1775 times
info_report.jpg
info_report.jpg (192.91 KiB) Viewed 1775 times
If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense.....Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle. I'm afraid I can't explain myself, sir. Because I am not myself, you see?
xide

Return to General Stuff