Creating an All in One Windows 7/Vista Installation USB

Hardware, Software, Managed Services, Remote Support, Industry News, your tech shop setups, whatever else.
Forum rules
1. Try to give more than you take, when possible.
2. Don't be a prick.

Creating an All in One Windows 7/Vista Installation USB

Postby Coolrunnings » Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:00 am

I've been trying to make my own custom Windows 7 + Windows Vista installation USB with images that I've customized. I've got it working perfectly if I use Windows 7 only or Windows Vista only. However, when I combined both WIM files into one large install.wim, used Windows 7's installation disk copied to USB, and replaced the install.wim from that with my combined file, I can only install Windows 7 images. When trying to install Windows Vista images, I get this error "Windows could not display the images available for installation". Does anyone know if there's something special I need to do to the installation media in order to be able to deploy Vista? The weird thing is that these images work fine if I boot from my WDS server and do the install. Any help would be appreciated!
Coolrunnings

Re: Creating an All in One Windows 7/Vista Installation USB

Postby TwoPlus1 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:45 pm

Interesting project I've played with before but not yet completed (Next OS keeps getting released). Microsoft released some video guides on this which I'll try to find tomorrow, basically you build and test your deployments with WDS and the latest MDT then export everything to media.

The real trick is to get the USB to dual boot x86 and x64, then get the deployment to backup the user profiles and reapply them during an upgrade or even hardware replacement.
TwoPlus1

Postby slim_jimmy7 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:44 pm

This sounds awesom
slim_jimmy7

Postby csc » Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:48 am

Build your own WindowsPE boot wim with WinBuilder and use the original source setup.exe to run both setups from USB.
csc

Return to General Stuff