Where did the virus come from?!?!

Hardware, Software, Managed Services, Remote Support, Industry News, your tech shop setups, whatever else.
Forum rules
1. Try to give more than you take, when possible.
2. Don't be a prick.

Where did the virus come from?!?!

Postby xide » Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:54 am

I'm sure many have heard that question, and even though I see several bad programs installed on the system I can never really answer that question accurately or pinpoint how they were infected, or even answer the question "Well how did that program get on there? I never downloaded that! I never download anything!" somehow I think they're lying to me. Does anyone have a method for determining this?
If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense.....Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle. I'm afraid I can't explain myself, sir. Because I am not myself, you see?
xide

Re: Where did the virus come from?!?!

Postby Xander » Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:31 pm

When I can, I take the timestamp of the main infection file and try to match it up with the browser history. I narrowed one down once to someone doing a GIS for something like "medieval wedding dresses" (obscure search) and getting infected from the one site they visited from that.

Now that's for an actual virus. For all this crapware we're seeing lately, some of it comes down to the Downloads folder and recent installers and the browser history (looking for download sites).
Xander

Re: Where did the virus come from?!?!

Postby Marshall » Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:38 pm

My approach to that question is to educate my client instead of playing the "blame game".

Increasing their skepticism about how safe the internet has helped increase their online safety ten fold.
I'll talk to them about Email, Web Surfing, and the "Always On" Internet Connection.

Most people still don't understand that an email that hit's Outlook, could infect your PC. So I talk about the pro's and con's of using a client side email application as apposed to one in the cloud.

I go over Best Practices for web surfing to help them identify scams, ads, and other content that can really trick a person into going somewhere unsafe.

Lastly I discuss the fact that if their PC is on, then they're online. For some reason people seem to think that just because the browser isn't open, that they're 100% safe, and that's simply not the case. The Windows Firewall sucks, and I educate them on the importance of proper security for at home, and work.

An educated client will help reduce your labor costs significantly. This however may mean that if they're a break/fix client, that you won't get as many service calls to remove viruses, etc. The upside is you'll probably get referrals more often!

I don't go "searching" for the source of an infection anymore, unless a client want's to pay me for the labor. My hand-off there is that I will provide them with training and classes to help reduce the risk in the future (for free), AFTER I have solved the immediate threat. Now this allows me to present the same curriculum pretty much, every time. It is systematized, and has it's own written process which is easy for anyone to follow, and has NO TECH SPEAK.
Help Me With My Computer Tech
IT Services & IT Consulting Services In Southern IL and St. Louis MO
Marshall

Return to General Stuff